Sand Or Gravel?

newland

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm setting up 2 new 2ft tanks and i wanted to use sand as it looks better.

Can sand be used with tropical fish?

Also whats better? Sand or Gravel?

Thanks

Yep, sand can be used in with aquarium fish. I prefer gravel for a numbr of reasons. a) it looks better in my opinion and B) its better for my plants.

Check out some pinned topics on the issue for further detail! But for aesthtic reasons its totally upto the individual! :)

Can sand be used with tropical fish?
YUP! :nod:
We have sand in two of the three tanks in our house.
See this link its a pinned topic in the chit chat area

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=71597

And as for
Also whats better? Sand or Gravel?
Well thats a purely a matter of personal likes/dislikes and also fish requirements.
Of the two tanks we have with sand it basic sandpit/paving/pet sand and sand colouring, of my other tank its black gravel, but it would of been black sand if I could of been able to get some in Brisbane without a special costly order (well maybe santa will help ;) )
In my experience sand requires a little more maintinance, but in moy opinion looks better with the planted aquarium. There are some aquariums (and fish) types that are better (or with fish "need") a rock substrate

HTH

Katchan

PS you beat mr miagi :p

cheers for the help.

I think sand looks better and would prefer sand but i can't seam to find it anywhere.

You mentioned that paypit san could be used. Can any sand be used? or does it have to be more specific?

Cheers for the help.

I have sand in 2 tanks and gravel in 3. Sand is hands down easier to clean. All the waste/trash just sits on the top and can easily be vacuumed off. With gravel, it settles in between the gravel and you have to sucj the gravel up to clean it. As for looks, it's just a matter of what you like. Either will work. One important item to consider in choosing is what fish do you plan to put in the tanks? If you are going to have bottom feeders like corys, sand would definitely work better since they like to root around in it and the gravel can damage their barbels.

Edit: Play sand works fine but is very hard to wash. A simple rule of thumb on sand: The cheaper it is, the longer it will take you to wash it.

rdd1952 I have lots of sporadic)sp?) planting in my tanks and find it hard to vacuum the crud off the top of the sand with either a-knocking the plants around b-getting a chunk of sand :rolleyes: , but I guess practice makes perfect :D

Edit: Play sand works fine but is very hard to wash. A simple rule of thumb on sand: The cheaper it is, the longer it will take you to wash it.
-Yeah I'll seconf that, the sand I got was $5.70 AUD for 40kg, and was REALLY dirty :rofl:
Katchan

I have used both sand & gravel and IMO sand looks better and is easier to clean. Kuhlii loaches or maylasian trumpet snails will burrow in it and keep it from packing down. I have heard that pool filter sand is easy to get and MUCH cleaner than play sand. When I set up my 75 gal that is what I am going to use. It all boils down to personal preference.

Personally I think it looks better too. Not to mention most river and streams or lakes have a sandy are dirt bottom so it looks more natural.

LoachLover said:
Personally I think it looks better too. Not to mention most river and streams or lakes have a sandy are dirt bottom so it looks more natural.
All depends in the type of fish you want, because they are from all over the world, thus being from many different kinds of lakes and rivers. Some are sandier, some are rockier. It invlolves research to decide what you want, based on the fish you plan on getting.
~Taylor~

Katchan said:
rdd1952 I have lots of sporadic)sp?) planting in my tanks and find it hard to vacuum the crud off the top of the sand with either a-knocking the plants around b-getting a chunk of sand :rolleyes: , but I guess practice makes perfect :D
I have that problem too. My tanks are pretty heavily planted and vacuuming among the plants is pretty much impossible. I get what I can and just hope the corys stir up things enough to move it to where I can get it the next time or where the filter will suck it up. I always end up sucking up a little sand when I vacuum though.

I use gravel, because I couldn't find sand. Sand is nicer, IMHO. More natural looking, but gravel makes it look livier.

i saw an aquarium in my lfs place the other day they had sand, but a planted large corner with gravel under the plants ... looked amazing and fish got best of both worlds :D

taylorhedrich said:
LoachLover said:
All depends in the type of fish you want, because they are from all over the world, thus being from many different kinds of lakes and rivers. Some are sandier, some are rockier. It invlolves research to decide what you want, based on the fish you plan on getting.
~Taylor~
This is true, but I think the majority of rivers/lakes/streams aren't as much gravel as it is dirt or sand. I think it's more of a gravel in europe though.

Most reactions

trending

Back