Rock Collecting

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

wgb113

Reaction score
Here's what I've gathered so far. They'll be going into a 55 gallon tank set up for Tanganyikan Cichlids. This is the first mock-up on some eggcrate on the floor of my garage. I won't have my tank until next weekend. All comments welcome. I've already decided not to use the big dark gray rock on the bottom towards the center. I'm going to toss quite a few of them since there's 160 lbs of rock.

Attachments

• Rocks_001.jpg
    Rocks_001.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 34
Don't think that'd make a kick-arse background???? :lol:

I've been trying to get rid of that thing for a while! One of these days I'll hit it with the car!

Bill

Those are the same rocks that I have in all of my tanks!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Did you get them from the same highway rest stop as me??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

OMGosh Christ you're sooo bad!

Psssst... tell me what rest stop it was (I will need a good supply when I finally move out there)

Hmmm maybe I'll take a ride out to the foothills... Is that where you're getting them? You gotta reveal your secrets.

Way to go Mike! Give away all of the secrets why don't you. I went collecting at a seldom-used road's underpass. I believe it's limestone.

Bill

The "Final" rock setup for my Tanganyikan Community Tank. All rocks have been cleaned and sterilized and the tank and other items come this weekend. As you can see I left some room at one end (for open sand and some shells) and I've lost about 40-lbs. (in rocks that is.)

Attachments

• Rocks_Setup_001.jpg
    Rocks_Setup_001.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 30
The rocks are about 10" high at their highest point. I plan on using about 1.5" of pool filter sand. The bottom 7 rocks will be placed directly on the eggcrate.

Attachments

• Rocks_Setup_007.jpg
    Rocks_Setup_007.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 33
I know the pics aren't the best but does it look natural to everyone? The last thing I want is for it to look like each rock was strategically placed.

Does anyone forsee any problems?

I plan on collecting some small 1", 2", and 3" stones to scatter aroung the edges.

I'll be mixing in 20-lbs. of Carib Sea's African Cichlid Mix on top of the sand around the rock structure. I want as natural a look as possible.

Attachments

• Rocks_Setup_008.jpg
    Rocks_Setup_008.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 35
Mike,

If my tank ends up looking half as good as yours, I'll consider it a success!

I got an email from my LFS today as well. They sent me a list of all of the Tanganyikan Cichlid species they carried. With what I wanted to stock it would cost me nearly $200 for fish. I then got another email from them stating that the last weekend in March (my target weekend to add the fish) they'll be having an anniversary sale - ALL fresh & saltwater fish will be 20% off!!! WooHoo!! :flex:

This is getting fun now!

Bill

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back