Rio 125 Marine Set Up

why not the starfish my gf will be devastated what do they feed on as one of my work mates has one in his set up and is doing great of course i was planning on adding the starfish once the tank is nice and mature. o yea and i was planning on having a deep substrate for a dusky jawfish as well

In a new tank the substrate is void of any food sources for the sifting starfish to feed on. They also tend to get out competed by hermit crabs and shrimps for any food missed by the fish. This means that the starfish will slowly begin to starve and its immune system weaken. Normally starfish last about 6 months before they develop an injury and slowly dissolve. I've had both a sifting star and a blue linkia, both met the same death. They tend to fair better in larger systems, where food is more readily available. Mine were in a 180L tank. You are probably better off going for a species of brittle starfish as they are faster moving and can get access to food more readily.

just showed her a brittled starfish she loves em so thats a winner haha. just wish pay day would hurry up so i can get started im gonna drain my tank soon so i can prepare. just out of curiosity what kind of coral is a pussy coral coz i reli like those things.

just showed her a brittled starfish she loves em so thats a winner haha. just wish pay day would hurry up so i can get started im gonna drain my tank soon so i can prepare. just out of curiosity what kind of coral is a pussy coral coz i reli like those things.

I'd still wait at least 2 months before adding one. That way there will be sufficient fish poop and small organisms for it to feed on. It would also benefit from target feeding with frozen foods like lobster eggs and mysis shrimp. The primarily feed at night, after lights out, which is another reason why target feeding starfish can be problematic.

sweet am go get me some pussy haha (joke) i think i am goin to get an LED strip and attatch it to the back flap on my hood just to add better quality lighting as well. i cant wait to get going all this advice is great thanks to everyone.

well i havent posted on here for a while due to being so busy but i have managed to get some shoots of my set up i have only just managed to get my live rock in so now i play the waiting game. i have set the salinity to an sg of 0.025 and the ph is 8.4 bang on and temp is 26c

my set up is:

juwel rio 125 tank and cabinet
JBL T8 marine white and blue bulbs
JBL crystal profi e900 extenal filter
TMC v2 120 nano skimmer
12kg of the finest uncured fiji liverock

i will be testing the water in the next couple of days and hoping for a massive ammonia spike to i know the cycle has began.

any ways here is the set up

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp170/foley_boy/Marinesetup.jpg

Most reactions

Back