Juwel Rio 125 Starter Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

boshk

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Not sure where this should go, but I figured someone out there maybe looking for information on beginner starter tanks. This is just my own impression on it.

Juwel RIO 125.
standard equipment include their Bioflow M filter, Aqua Heat 100W heater and 2x28W lighting unit.

The tank itself is 81x36x50cm, weighs 23kg and comes in 4 different colours.
Quality is very good and there is the option of buying their tank specific cabinet in matching colour.
Base of tank has metal frame support around the edge and through the middle, so the glass is not sitting on the surface. 

Bioflow M filter sits on the right side at the back, its a massive black filter. dimension approx 40x10x10cm. There is a gap at the bottom (1-2cm) to prevent stagnant water (I assume) but my main concern is a stuck fish. (I'm planning on using gravel to fill it in, still allows for water to pass but no fish.)
The heater sits inside the filter box in its own compartment. SImple temperature setting, no digital readout, seems accurate, I set it to 27C and the reading from the Juwel digital thermometer shows 27.5C.

Water filtration is via 6 stages with water flowing downwards before being pulled back up and out through the jet nozzle on the side.
First holder contains:
1st stage 3x poly pad for debris, leaves etc
2nd stage carbon sponge-chemical
3rd stage Nitrax sponge- biological
4th stage Coarse sponge

Second holder contains:
5th stage Cirax box-Organic filter OR you can switch it out for Phorax a phosphate filter
6th stage 2x fine sponges

The jet nozzle is a simple angled attachment with a rubber ring which slots into the side of the filter unit. 
There is the option to buy the Aerator attachment BUT the size is smaller, I have no idea why but what it means is, you have to use the rubber ring to hold it in place and the tinniest adjustment will cause the water jet to shoot the Aerator off the filter, pretty annoying. Took me 5 mins to get it to stay in place. Once it is on, the aeration looks good, lots of tiny bubbles but noisy. Normal attachment is quiet.

Juwel digital themometer-no battery included. Clear and easy to read. Designed to be used inside tank via a suction cup BUT the design is strange, its angled away from the glass, maybe to allow water to flow all around it?? It looks like its about to fall off but thats just the design.

The cover for the tank is designed around the lighting unit. 2 flaps front and back with the light unit sitting across the tank.
With the aerator, the light unit and flaps will get covered with water, I hope the light unit is really waterproofed.

The lighting unit itself sits rather precariously on the side edges of the tank. Its size does not exactly match the tank's length giving a 5mm movement.. Pushing the unit to one side leaves the other with only 1mm of support. 
I will be doing some DIY attaching a small L shape bracket to both sides of the light unit to prevent any chance of the unit falling into the tank. 

The back flap has a hole for feeding. Front flap has a slot for the Juwel automatic feeder, nice feature.
The light unit cannot be pushed all the way to rear of the tank due to a support beam in the middle of the tank. This beam CANNOT be used for moving or carrying the tank, I think its there in case the light unit drops but I dont see how it can stop the unit sliding into the water.

Any large water change, placing items inside tank, general cleaning via a scrapper and filter maintenance will require the removal of the light unit and flaps.

If you do not stick a background to the tank, the light unit cable will be visible.

Overall, happy, :nod: only had the tank for 5 days so far, just waiting for my cycling to start. 

Attachments

• fish tank edit.jpg
    fish tank edit.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 567
Dear Administrator, I just read your Review Rules. If this is considered as an official review, please change or delete my post as required. 

Hi, The support beam can be used to catch a falling light, but that's not what it is for :) ... The main purpose is to support the structure of the tank so the glass doesn't bow with the  weight of the water and in turn doesn't damage the sealant... then you wont end up with water all over the floor.

Most tank lids especially if the light fixture is built in will need to come off when you do a water change... bit of a pain when you have a deep tank and cant see the bottom of the tank..... you can buy the overhead lights which allow plants to grow out of the tank which can allow you to keep everything in place when doing a water change.

How are you cycling the tank?

Nic is quite right about the bracer bar  - what boshk called the support beam - it is to hold the long glass sides in place. Mine detached itself from the back glass and the tank did start to bow in the middle by quarter of an inch at the front and back. Because I didn't trust my ability to re-attach the bracer bar properly, I used the excuse to replace my Rio 125 with a bigger tank.

Opening both lid flaps and sliding the light bar as far back as it will go allows plenty room to do most things. The only time I had to remove the light bar was to put in or remove an extra large piece of wood. I never needed to remove it for water changes. For filter maintenance just lift the flaps off and slide the light bar as far forward as it will go.

nic1 said:
Hi, The support beam can be used to catch a falling light, but that's not what it is for
smile.png
... The main purpose is to support the structure of the tank so the glass doesn't bow with the  weight of the water and in turn doesn't damage the sealant... then you wont end up with water all over the floor.

Most tank lids especially if the light fixture is built in will need to come off when you do a water change... bit of a pain when you have a deep tank and cant see the bottom of the tank..... you can buy the overhead lights which allow plants to grow out of the tank which can allow you to keep everything in place when doing a water change.

How are you cycling the tank?
fish less cycle, only on day 5

Ive had my Rio 125 for 14yrs now and not had any problems with it. No need to worry about the lighting as ive still got the original and it works fine...ive read that its recommended to change them every 8-12 months as they can lose their intensity- i have a well planted tank and they all seem to grow well. Make sure to cover the back corner well with gravel as i have a Plec that decided to make it his home...hed go under the filter and every time he was out feeding hed swim back under before id get the chance to get my hand in and cover it up!!! Im really happy with my Rio but would eventually like to get a 400litre as id like more fish. I hope you enjoy your new tank, and new fish.

ManxScam78 said:
Ive had my Rio 125 for 14yrs now and not had any problems with it. No need to worry about the lighting as ive still got the original and it works fine...ive read that its recommended to change them every 8-12 months as they can lose their intensity- i have a well planted tank and they all seem to grow well. Make sure to cover the back corner well with gravel as i have a Plec that decided to make it his home...hed go under the filter and every time he was out feeding hed swim back under before id get the chance to get my hand in and cover it up!!! Im really happy with my Rio but would eventually like to get a 400litre as id like more fish. I hope you enjoy your new tank, and new fish.
Didn't know its been around that long. 
I thought about sticking gravel too under the filter to stop fish getting stuck in there.

The filter housing is good though for big water changes, where media has to come out too. It doesn't disturb the substrates at all if u direct the water into it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back