Regulating temperature

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

vrsilver

Reaction score
Iā€™ve had tropical fish for quite a while but I recently moved to a new apartment and worry about my temperature control in the coming months. My home has always been on the warmer side with a light on the fish tank for a little extra warmth. Well now I live on the top floor and my apartment is too hot for me and I like to keep the AC on in my room. But as it gets hotter I am worried about my fish tank becoming too cold because of the more frequent use of the AC.

I donā€™t have a heater right now as I have been able to maintain my temperature up to this point without, and if possible would like to avoid getting one since I am very poor

Hi there, welcome to the forum :)

What size is your tank, and what species of fish do you have? What is the lowest temperature you've seen in the tank?

Heaters are not very expensive to buy, and are very cheap to run.

The only other option open to you is to rehome your tropical fish and restock your tank with temperate fish that can cope with lower temperatures.

if you keep the unit at 26C (79F) the tank will sit on that too.

I understand your concern. I live in an upstairs unit, and heat rises, so my air conditioner is always working extra hard in the summer, too. I agree with @fluttermoth, heaters are not expensive. They're a lot more affordable than replacing all your tropical fish with cold tolerant fish, and a lot less stressful than treating a bunch of sick fish who didn't have adequate heat. You say you've been keeping tropical fish for quite a while. I'm surprised you don't have a heater already.

Hi there, welcome to the forum :)

What size is your tank, and what species of fish do you have? What is the lowest temperature you've seen in the tank?

Heaters are not very expensive to buy, and are very cheap to run.

The only other option open to you is to rehome your tropical fish and restock your tank with temperate fish that can cope with lower temperatures.

I have a 20 gallon, with sunburst, mollies, and angelfish. Iā€™ve never had it drop below 70, but usually itā€™s afound 73 so Iā€™ve never felt like spending money on a heater. I got paid today so I bought one since it seems like there wasnā€™t a different option

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back