Reesy's 20 Gallon Reef Adventure

Cyano attack again.

Re-arranging the rock work tonite to make the flow constant around the tank. Will pull it all out aswell. I'm looking at getting some more sand as mine is getting abit thin on the ground. Im more a fan of a thicker sandbed rather than the minimum.

Tank however is very peacefull. The Green clown goby has started hosting the toadstool and only leaves it for food,. The pink spotter is taking the clown goby's lead and has been seen dotted all over the rockwork and exploring the tank. Bonnie and Clyde are as normal, everywhere in the tank exploring everything that could possibly be explored.

The shrimp has shed its skin a further twice since i mentioned him. He is growing bigger by the day

The Coral has become very large and is loving all the light its getting.

All the remaining hermits are thriving and eatting everything they can. Along with the snails that are keeping the glass clean.

One question tho...my snails have been wandering to close to the cyano and now their shells hav it....How do I get rid of it off their shells? Do I scrub them with a brish or??

I will chime in again on the cyanobacteria problem. You might want to get some chaeto algae (it's course and looks like tumbleweed or sage brush). Having some algae in the tank will be good because it will compete for nutrients. If you had some hairline algae in the tank you would probably not have any cyanobacteria. (I realize most people cannot tolerate any hairline algae and what little they have in the tank is quickly extinguished by crabs, or other algae eating creatures).

Also, the complete elimination of algae can cause problems for sea urchins, tangs, and other creature that depend on algae for their diet.

I ordered this filter media called chemi-pure elite that will help lower phosphates, nitrates, and silicates in my tank (and it's supposed to last up to four months). I already know that I may need to switch back to straight carbon if my crab eats all of the algae that is there.

side note 1: I found out that my hydrometer is measuring .004 under the true level. Basically anyone with a hydrometer should have it compared with a refractometer once a month if not more often that that.

Hey all,

I have recently been away for a month and left strict instructions on care for the tank while I was away, my little sister as hard as she tried has not been able to follow the instructions. My parents had their kitchen re-done and everything was shifted into the dinning room (where my tank is) she was not able to get to the tank.

She managed to do a few small water changes however the tank is a mess. The cyano has taken over the tank wall and covered the rock and the sandbed and the flame scallop has sadly perished.

On saturday I will be scrubbing all the rocks, tank walls and fish clean if need be! Will also doing a 80% water change to make sure that the tank is beautifully clean.

Would post a picture but it is a shamefull environment for a fish and nothing to be proud of!

Will update when its done.

Regards,

Reesy1989

Hey,

Update time.

Since my last update I did a change on my tank and got rid of all the cyano in the tank hopiong it would once again not rear its ugly head....unfortuantely not so.

I had booked a week of so I decieded to tackle this cyano once and for all.

Day 1
It took me three days and the setup of a temporary tank to get this done, should have taken pictures but was far to busy. Took all the fish out and put them into a temp 20 gallon aquarium. All the rocks were put into buckets and moved out into the garage where there was a vat full of water waiting. With the employed help of the missus we scrubbed each rock well and truely clean (except for the coraline algea of course).

Day 2
With the employed help of the missus we scrubbed each rock well and truely clean (except for the coraline algea of course). The tank was then completely emptied of water and sand and given a thorough scrub of all the back compartment and the display glass. The sand was thoroughly rinsed and more sand was added to the old.

Once everything was deemed clean enough the tank was put back in its place, it was then filled 80% of the way with wate ran the salt was added. Rocks where left in the VAT and heated.

Day 3
The water was up to 28C the salinity was 1.026. Put the newly scrubbed rocks back into the tank and put the sand in. Sand settled and the water became clear, put the fish back into the tank and left the light off for the rest of the day to reduce any possible stress.

Day 4
Admired new looking tank and patted self on the back lol

I have also bought a power head to hide down the back to increase the flow round the back and the bottom of the tank in gerneral as this is where the cyano was developing and mounted its attack from. I've also purchased two phosphate removers and put them in two seperate compartments so if the first one misses any, the second one wont. Bring it on Cyano!!

Today I have also bought 2 new corals as it has been about 6 - 7 days since the Destroy the Cyano mission took place. They have currently been acclimatising for about 2 hours so will be putting them in soon and will get some picture up when they are out.

One picture just to wet your appetite.

Coral Goby.JPG
Green Coral Goby - Enjoying his new surroundings and enjoying a finally cyano free environment!

Thanks for reading.

Reesy1989

Picture Post

Pink Spotted Goby.JPG
Pink Spotted Goby - Hiding around the back of the tank

Shrimp.JPG
Cleaner Shrimp

Green Coral Goby.JPG
Green Coral Goby.

Sulking Toadstool.JPG
Toadstool - Sulking as I turned all of the lights off to introduce the new corals

Powerhead.JPG
New powerhead at the back left of the tank - to increase flow at the bottom of the tank.

New Corals.JPG
New Corals in the Tank :)

Green Star Polyp.JPG
This is a Green Star Polyp but has not come out yet.

coral.JPG
Unsure as to the name of this one even though to store manager did tell me - anyone to ID it?

coral 2.JPG
Close up of unidentified coral.

Finally

FTS.JPG
The Full Tank Shot

Alternative.JPG
An Alternative for those who like the artistic shots?

Thanks for reading.

Reesy1989

looking very 'clean'!! good plan with the extra power head to reach around the back. :good:
new coral looks like clove polyps to me.
The star polyps do sometimes take some time to come out. try not to move them and they'll settle over the next few days.

Thanks Anguilla,

Took some photos last night, they are abit big so i'm going to have to display them all in a few posts.

Green Star Polyp 1600x1200.jpg
Green start polyp - 36 hours after being added to the tank.

Green Star Polyp Close Up 1600x1200.jpg
Close up

UID Coral 1600x1200.jpg
Unknow Coral

Other Coral Close Up 1600x1200.jpg
Unknown Coral Close Up.

Shrimp 1600x1200.jpg
Shrimp - Enjoying the tank

Pink Spotted Goby 1600x1200.jpg
Pink Spotted Goby likes the new rock formation, loads of little tunnels to go swim through.

Stomella 1600x1200.jpg
Stomella I believe?

TFF TOTM Pic.jpg
The very necessary Full Tank Shot.

I am really liking the way that the tank is looking at the moment and really pleased that the fish are now thriving.

Any comments are welcome.

Regards,

Reesy1989

the tank looks ace. same tank as mine

Need to rescape mione and give it a clean, what did you use to cleam the glass as I have loads of algae on the glass now

Hi,

I normally use a magnetic algea scraper, however this tank was so dirty that I ended up doing a 100% water change so when the tank was empty I used a brillo pad with the hard surface and scrubed the harder algea off. The cyano just came straight off.

They are good little tanks as the back compartments allow you to hide all the accessories, out of interest do you use a skimmer?

Regards,

Reesy1989

I;ve got a magnetic algae scraper but its useless with the green algae dots

I;ve got a skimmer in the back took me a while to get the water level stable at the right level using the adjustable weir and to get used to the noise! its not collected anything yet which is oldd

I want a bigger tank already ha

The green spot I had to use a brillo pad for, the scraper wont get it, some people i know have used a blade with alot of care but I wasn't about to take that chance.

I'm thinking of getting a skimmer for the back but I am not sure of one to get? Any suggestions?

I want a bigger tank too, was looking at a 50 Gallon last week but had to fight the urge!

Most reactions

Back