Reesy's 20 Gallon Reef Adventure

Right onto the tank picture update.

Hi all, I was only ment to be coming on here to post the new tank layout and some nice shots of the fish, Although the Mandy is constantly aware of the camera it seems, cant seem to get a none blurry shot!!

Anyhow, The tank is going well nothing has passed away yet, there was alot of algea on the glass so I did a major clean up as well as the normal water change and thought a few snaps were in order for people to see how it is coming along. Enjoy.

Clam.JPG

The clam was sulking during the water change but now he has settled back down and enjoyed his phytoplankton!

B+C.JPG

Bonnie and Clyde as ever the camera magnets loving the attention.

clown.JPG

B+C again

Clyde.JPG

Clyde looking good.

Coral.JPG

Toadstool is coming along nicely. You can tell that it has been growing but also that it is forming more of an adult shape as towards the end of the toadstool you can see where it is starting to curve up or down. Very happy with its growth :)

Pink Spotter.JPG

Pink Spotted Goby as ever just sitting there looking pretty.

UCORAL.JPG

This is something new. To me it looks like the start of a baby mushie but I am no expert and probably wrong. Can anyone ID it?

FTS.JPG

And finally the Full Tank Shot. The rock layout has changed and the fish prefer it alot more as it has created more holes for them to swim through and more places to hide.

Reagrds,

Reesy

Nice pics mate, tank is looking nice and clean :good: as far as the phosphate remover goes, I would remove everything from the green compartment and fill it with sacks of rowaphos (the more the better) when you do this, it is best if you use a few small bags rather than one big one and remember to not pack it to tightly, it works far better if water can move all around every tiny piece of rowa, this maximises the amount of phosphate it can remove. If the green compartment is not big enough to get enough in, it also would not hurt if you removed everything from the blue area aswell and did the same. LR rubble is ok but enough flow and rock in the display area will do the job.

VM

I like the new tank layout and Bonnie and Clyde are pretty darn cute!

Tanks looking good!
How are you feeding your flame scallop btw? I just ask as I have one and have heard that they dont live long and offten die of starvation.

Ours is 3 months old and seems to be doing well .

Not the best pic as I have trouble getting the camera to focus close to the tank.. :( also I was trying to get the electric lip shot ;)
P1110843.JPG

Thanks for the comments guys.

Appleseed, the scallop is great, oftern see him around the tanks and luckily for me he hasn't found a nice quiet spot at the back of the tank.

The electric lips are fantastic when you see them. I spot feed it a pippette of phytoplankton once a day and he seems to be going well so far, no issue or anything.

I've heard that they get to about 6 months then its all down hill but others have kept them for 1 - 2 years so? Each to their own I suppose?

What do you feed yours?

Regards,

Reesy

Hi Reesy,

I have also been target feeding mine, every other day but I also add +- 3ml PhytoGold (8-20um) or 3 ml phyto-fest every day. I usually add Phyto-fest once a week (skipping Phytogold the day that I add phyto-feast).

When target feeding I usually put 3ml Phytogold or Phyto-fest in to a container with 15 ml tank water and dispense that up stream of the scallop. I rigged up a piece of air line tubing cable tied to an old algae scraper rod with a syringe at on end so that I can keep my hands out of the tank, kinda like a syring with a loooong tip.

I have considered making the Phyto dispenser permanent as the scallop has been in the same place since my re-scape.

So I was thinking of "hanging" a piece of acrylic tube down the back wall, so that I could add the dose of Phyto into the water up stream of the scallop.

hey i got my tank set up a full of water - but a few questions

how much sand did you put in the tank?

what salt would you recommend?

the bottom of the two taps that pump the water back into the tank is not as powerful as the top tap. is this right?

cheers

eltz

hey i got my tank set up a full of water - but a few questions

how much sand did you put in the tank?

you will need less than a 20lb bag unless you are keeping sand swelling fish

what salt would you recommend?

I like H2 Ocean

the bottom of the two taps that pump the water back into the tank is not as powerful as the top tap. is this right?

:blink: goodness, you are going to have to give us a clue on this question - two taps?

cheers

eltz

Seffie x

Appleseed thats sounds like a good idea. I am currently only feeding the scallop phytoplankton, where are you sourcing the phytogold from?

Eltz21, Seffie is right but about the pumps, there is a function on thepump itslef that will alow you to increase and decrease the amount of of flow the pump will create. Take out both pumps and match the swivelly leaver thing (not sure what to call it) until they are what you would prefer. I personally have higher flow at the top than at the bottom, however the bottom will still need a decent amount of flow.

No new news on the tank, curently unwell at the moment so I'm going to be tackling the cyno that seems to be developing in the tank and to really expell all the algea from the tank this time!

No more mr nice guy!!

Most reactions

Back