red gravid spot on guppy

jacblades

im not the jedi i should be
Reaction score
she keeps darting around so im assuimng shes about to give birth. is the gravid spot normally red when they give birth or is something wrong? all of my other females have black gravid spots.

Red? Thats a bit odd if you don't mind me saying. They are usually black and not red but who knows! Darting around does not nessecarly mean that she is do soon but maybe just stressed. When her back end is square THEN you know she is ready! ~Scarlett

My guppies get red and pink gravid spots, but then they go black again. I have know idea why, but I just wanted to let you know you're not the only one scratching their head about it...

I read something about the fry liking the light, so when the light is on they all turn to face it and the gravid spot goes black from all their little eyes facing the same way, and when the light is off the gravid spot turns pink as they turn away...
not sure if thats right though!

:rofl: I can't imagine how that would TICKLE a female guppy-everybody wriggling around and changing directions like that! Well I can, having been pregnant 4 times myself but not with 28-40 at once! :crazy: I wonder if that's really true.

SnowyZMom B)

yes-well it seems to have gone away...im not sure is she is/was pregnant because all of my guppies are extremely fat (spoiled :whistle: :whistle: ) anyways.

Nutmeg said:
I read something about the fry liking the light, so when the light is on they all turn to face it and the gravid spot goes black from all their little eyes facing the same way, and when the light is off the gravid spot turns pink as they turn away...
not sure if thats right though!
Yes that is true and right lol the babies will face the mothers head when the lights are off and when you turn on the light it will take about 5 min.. for them to turn around.... try it sometime with your pregnant fish you will see ..lol

i started see the little fry inside the guppy before she had them. i hope all is well with your guppy.

Most reactions

Back