Recurring Bubble/blister On Betta's Tail Fin?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CherrySparkles

Reaction score
Hi everyone - I'm going to fill out the recommended form for fish problems below and am attaching pictures below that. I hope you'll be able to help me with my little betta! In advance, thank you! :)

Tank size:
1.25 gallons, unfiltered, unheated. (I am in the middle of a fishless cycle on a new Marineland Eclipse 5 for him)

pH:
7.6, the last time I checked

ammonia:
Approx. 0.15PPM. We have been unable to get it below this level in the bowl, and thus we're preparing the Eclipse for him.

nitrite:
0 at last testing, though not done that recently

nitrate:
0 at last test, though not done recently

kH:
Not sure as I don't have this test kit at home. An aquarium shop tested my betta's water 1-2 months ago, and the KH was something like 3.5 at that time.

gH:
Unknown

tank temp:
70 degrees. It was 72 about 1.5 weeks ago, but things have begun to cool down a bit in the city now, so it's just recently gone down to 70.

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):
Over the past approx. 2 months, my betta has had a small bubble/blister appearing on his tail. It looks to be the same color as the fin tissue around it, and it almost looks as though the fin tissue had been inflated like a balloon at that spot. It is almost totally transparent on the outer edges and seems to be relatively clear inside. This bubble/blister appeared once about 2 months ago, lasted for about a week, then suddenly seemed to deflate, like a popped balloon, and disappeared from his tail soon thereafter. It was gone for a few weeks and has since recurred in nearly the same spot, deflating once and returning within a few days, which brings us to the present. It's a little more reluctant to go away this time, it seems. I have never seen parts of this bubble/blister fall off of his fin.

The only other issue my betta has been dealing with is shredding on his tail. For the past 3-4 months, his fin has shredded at the ends to varying degrees (only the tips, or spreading up 1/4-1/3 of his tail rarely and at worst), only to heal. After the inital damage to the fin, it never seems to degrade further and shows clear regrowth very soon. It heals and then becomes shredded again. I've never seen black edges nor cottony growth on his fins, but sometimes where the rays have broken off in the damage, the ends have appeared bloody. Having removed all possibly sharp ornaments in the tank, we are now exploring the possibility that he is biting his tail (fairly common in bettas). If you have any other theories, please let me know!

Other than that, my betta seems very normal. He is eating very well (2 Hikari pellets in the AM, 1 in the PM, pre-soaked in water from his tank) and begging furiously for his food. He seems as energetic as normal, wiggling around whenever someone is in view and building bubble nests now and then. I haven't seen any changes in his behavior. His color is good and his body and other fins are clean and healthy looking, as far as I can tell.

Volume and Frequency of water changes:
30-40% daily changes with a full tank cleaning and 60% water change every 7-10 days.

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:
only Seachem Prime

I tried treating him with a very light dose of Bettafix, but this did not appear to effect the bubble/blister which was present at the time. It did, however, seem to help his fins to heal a bit more rapidly than usual, as they were torn at the time.

Tank inhabitants:
Only my betta - he is alone in his vase.

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):
The appearance of the blister/bump does not seem to directly coincide with the addition of something, but in the past few months we've added:
Hagen sealed gravel in a dark purple color
Hagen Marina faux rock betta arch decoration
a second small purple betta plant (identical to the one he had when we first got him)

Exposure to chemicals:
None that I'm aware of. We're very cautious to wash our hands and rinse THOROUGHLY before water changes or feedings. We never use soap to clean his bowl. We're very careful not to spray any cleaner/perfume/etc. in the same room as the bowl.

NOTE: The photos below were taken in really low light, and the dark spots on his tail (the bubble is on one of them) are just natural patches of blue on his fins.

TailBubble1.jpg
TailBubble2.jpg
TailBubble3.jpg

You need to get the tank fast as bad water quality takes its toll on a fish.

Does the bubble move.
Bubbles can be bacterial, to parasites.
Red edging to fins bad water quality, septicemia.
Bubbles beneath the skin bas bubble desease.

I would try an internal bacteria med.
Need to improve water quality fast.

Hi everyone - I'm going to fill out the recommended form for fish problems below and am attaching pictures below that. I hope you'll be able to help me with my little betta! In advance, thank you! :)

Tank size:
1.25 gallons, unfiltered, unheated. (I am in the middle of a fishless cycle on a new Marineland Eclipse 5 for him)
Too small, minimum 3g, should have light filtration and also should be heated to 27degrees
pH:
7.6, the last time I checked

ammonia:
Approx. 0.15PPM. We have been unable to get it below this level in the bowl, and thus we're preparing the Eclipse for him.
with a tank that size it will be difficult to maintain a low ammonia reading, do 75% water change every day.
nitrite:
0 at last testing, though not done that recently
good, but retest
nitrate:
0 at last test, though not done recently

kH:
Not sure as I don't have this test kit at home. An aquarium shop tested my betta's water 1-2 months ago, and the KH was something like 3.5 at that time.

gH:
Unknown

tank temp:
70 degrees. It was 72 about 1.5 weeks ago, but things have begun to cool down a bit in the city now, so it's just recently gone down to 70.
as i said should be 27degrees or bettas motabilism won't be good
Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):
Over the past approx. 2 months, my betta has had a small bubble/blister appearing on his tail. It looks to be the same color as the fin tissue around it, and it almost looks as though the fin tissue had been inflated like a balloon at that spot. It is almost totally transparent on the outer edges and seems to be relatively clear inside. This bubble/blister appeared once about 2 months ago, lasted for about a week, then suddenly seemed to deflate, like a popped balloon, and disappeared from his tail soon thereafter. It was gone for a few weeks and has since recurred in nearly the same spot, deflating once and returning within a few days, which brings us to the present. It's a little more reluctant to go away this time, it seems. I have never seen parts of this bubble/blister fall off of his fin.

The only other issue my betta has been dealing with is shredding on his tail. For the past 3-4 months, his fin has shredded at the ends to varying degrees (only the tips, or spreading up 1/4-1/3 of his tail rarely and at worst), only to heal. After the inital damage to the fin, it never seems to degrade further and shows clear regrowth very soon. It heals and then becomes shredded again. I've never seen black edges nor cottony growth on his fins, but sometimes where the rays have broken off in the damage, the ends have appeared bloody. Having removed all possibly sharp ornaments in the tank, we are now exploring the possibility that he is biting his tail (fairly common in bettas). If you have any other theories, please let me know!
make sure there are no plastic plants in the tank, a bigger tank means more space to swim!
Other than that, my betta seems very normal. He is eating very well (2 Hikari pellets in the AM, 1 in the PM, pre-soaked in water from his tank) and begging furiously for his food. He seems as energetic as normal, wiggling around whenever someone is in view and building bubble nests now and then. I haven't seen any changes in his behavior. His color is good and his body and other fins are clean and healthy looking, as far as I can tell.
good, try around 5 pellets a day, 2-AM, 3PM, but then fast it 2 times a week
Volume and Frequency of water changes:
30-40% daily changes with a full tank cleaning and 60% water change every 7-10 days.
70-80% daily water changes if you keep it in that vase, so i reccomend another tank :)

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:
only Seachem Prime

I tried treating him with a very light dose of Bettafix, but this did not appear to effect the bubble/blister which was present at the time. It did, however, seem to help his fins to heal a bit more rapidly than usual, as they were torn at the time.
Try Melafix, i think its called that, google it to be sure
Tank inhabitants:
Only my betta - he is alone in his vase.
You need to put him in a tank not a vase

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):
The appearance of the blister/bump does not seem to directly coincide with the addition of something, but in the past few months we've added:
Hagen sealed gravel in a dark purple color
Hagen Marina faux rock betta arch decoration
a second small purple betta plant (identical to the one he had when we first got him)
again, make sure none of these are sharp, that can tear the fins
Exposure to chemicals:
None that I'm aware of. We're very cautious to wash our hands and rinse THOROUGHLY before water changes or feedings. We never use soap to clean his bowl. We're very careful not to spray any cleaner/perfume/etc. in the same room as the bowl.
water should be dechlorinated before doing water changes
NOTE: The photos below were taken in really low light, and the dark spots on his tail (the bubble is on one of them) are just natural patches of blue on his fins.

TailBubble1.jpg
TailBubble2.jpg
TailBubble3.jpg

Its good that you gave alot of information, it makes it easier for us to help.

Bottom line is that, you have to move the Betta into a bigger tank ASAP, and you will see the difference in behaviour once done so :)

Hi,

If I were you, I'd move the betta to the eclipse tank right now. He needs fresher water and it makes more sense to cycle him in the 5 gallon than to leave him in a 1.25 with poor water (and risking ammonia burns) while the other tank is cycling.

Also, he needs a heater. I admit, I do have a 2 gallon, but do A LOT of water changes and my fish has a heater.

Since your bowl is so small, take out as much of the gravel/substrate as you can as that takes up precious water space. Just leave enough in to anchor a silk plant into.

Thank you so much to everyone for your responses!

Regarding comments about a new tank, I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear, but I'm preparing a new 5 gallon tank for him which should be ready soon. Regarding sharp ornaments, I've ran a nylon stocking over everything that's in his tank, and there was no damage to the stocking. There are no sharp edges. I'm dechlorinating the water using Prime, and I'm pretty sure that Melafix is the same thing as Bettafix, just a stronger version (which can be hard on bettas). :( It's unfortunate because I've heard it's a great medicine for other fish.

Hi,

If I were you, I'd move the betta to the eclipse tank right now. He needs fresher water and it makes more sense to cycle him in the 5 gallon than to leave him in a 1.25 with poor water (and risking ammonia burns) while the other tank is cycling.

Also, he needs a heater. I admit, I do have a 2 gallon, but do A LOT of water changes and my fish has a heater.

Since your bowl is so small, take out as much of the gravel/substrate as you can as that takes up precious water space. Just leave enough in to anchor a silk plant into.

I really like your idea about removing a lot of the substrate, as there is a fair bit in there now. I'll remove most of it, leaving enough only to hold the decorations and that'll increase the water volume so as to dilute any pollutants a bit more. I'm also going to get much more aggressive with the water changes. As to putting him in prior to the completion of they cycle, I would be nervous of that since the nitrites are at a very high level in the cycling tank right now. I'm hopeful that the cycle will finish in the very near future, but if it doesn't seem to be progressing quickly, I'll have to think about moving my betta early. I'm also gradually turning the heat up in the room he's in - won't have a huge effect, I know, but I'm trying to make some improvement immediately.
________________________________________________________________________________

So obviously I've gotta get him into his new tank ASAP, but in the meantime, does anyone know what this bubble could be? It does not move around at all, and has appeared in the same spot each time. There are no other bubbles on him anywhere, nor have I ever seen any in the past... and when the bubble pops and goes away, it is completely gone for some time...

Please let me know if any of you have dealt with this before? I'm going to add some aquarium salt to his vase tonight

thats great! Sorry i didnt know you already had another tank ready for him!
You can move him into the tank now, and take reading each day so you know how much water to change, etc. Also try getting a few live plants!

I think the lump should heal soon and hope its nothing critical. Just carry on with the meds and aquarium salt! :D

You can move him into the tank now, and take reading each day so you know how much water to change, etc. Also try getting a few live plants!

I think the lump should heal soon and hope its nothing critical. Just carry on with the meds and aquarium salt! :D
Oh, yes, and the aquarium salt works well! The betta I have in the 2 gallon has reponded wonderfully to that. I put about 1/3 the recommended amount *of the therapeutic dose* So, for my 2-gallon, he gets slightly less than 1/2 teaspoon. I'm going to taper that off.

Also, be sure the salt is disolved before adding to the bowl (you probably already know this . . .I didn't the first time I added it to my guppy tank! lol They were fine, though!

I think the lump should heal soon and hope its nothing critical. Just carry on with the meds and aquarium salt!

No worries! I think I mentioned the new tank once if at all in the small novel that was my original post. :D Thank you very much for your advice - I've been considering getting live plants, and once I get my baby boy into his new tank, I think I'm gonna try some! Now to choose what kind... :p

Oh, yes, and the aquarium salt works well! The betta I have in the 2 gallon has reponded wonderfully to that. I put about 1/3 the recommended amount *of the therapeutic dose* So, for my 2-gallon, he gets slightly less than 1/2 teaspoon. I'm going to taper that off.

Also, be sure the salt is disolved before adding to the bowl (you probably already know this . . .I didn't the first time I added it to my guppy tank! lol They were fine, though!

Thanks so much for the info, and I'm so glad to hear that your betta did well with the salt! I'm super cautious about using medicines and didn't want to medicate if I wasn't sure what was wrong, so I'm glad that salt is a good option. I'm hoping that with impeccable water params and some salt to calm him and boost electrolytes (and all the other good stuff I've heard salt can do) he'll bounce right back!

Haha and I will be sure to dissolve the salt! I was wondering how to use it, but the box had some info about dissolving it. I probably would have sprinkled it in too if I didn't see that! :p Glad your guppies were happy!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back