Ranchu and Fantail together in a tank

Captain Nemo

Reaction score
Hi! I have recently bought two about 2" (not counting tails) Goldfish, one Fantail and the other Ranchu. They were together in a tank in the store and were used to each other. They seem to be getting along splendidly, but Ranchu is eating more, (more like pigging out really), on everything he can stuff into his mouth, and Fantail is eating one piece at a time, chewing it carefully and in the end not getting as much food. Rachu has already grown a little bit, but Fantail is pretty much the same size as when we bought them. Every now and then Ranchu rubs his head on Fantail's belly which seems to be an affectionate behaviour, but I don't know much about fish behaviour, so could it be agressive? (They follow each other everywhere though.) Fantail has his mouth as bottom feeders (but wants to catch food as it falls) and Ranchu's mouth is in the middle of his face. Are all these things I described simply differences in breeds? What are the differences in growth between these two breeds? How can I recognize if they are male or female?
Thank you for your help!

We are moving soon into a new home and plan to have a pond shortly after that for these two and some others. At this point I am more interested in the differences in behaviour between these two breeds. :)

Captain Nemo said:
We are moving soon into a new home and plan to have a pond shortly after that for these two and some others. At this point I am more interested in the differences in behaviour between these two breeds. :)
ok well I guess you can't help everyone, or educate them :(

The fantail will always be out gunned when it comes to feeding due to the slowness of its swimming.

I really hope you get a pond for them soon for their health. :rolleyes:

I really hope you get a pond for them soon for their health

Did I miss something?

Captain Nemo said:
We are moving soon into a new home and plan to have a pond shortly after that for these two and some others. At this point I am more interested in the differences in behaviour between these two breeds

The goldfish should be fine Captain Nemo. :)

I would have said that a faintail and a ranchu would be fine together providing the tank is big anough. Don't worry about the feeding. As long as they are both eating some they will be fine, they don't need much anyways.

Just a comment on the pond thing, depending on where you are fancy goldfish can't really go into ponds.

YES!
goldfish in tanks

I disagree with ya danio2004, I have seen fancy goldfish live healthy long lives
in plain 10 gallon tanks.....it's not just about tank size..sure bigger is better for goldfish..., but the care you give them in the tank can make up for a lot of that size ;)

danio2004 said:
Captain Nemo said:
ok well I guess you can't help everyone, or educate them :(

The fantail will always be out gunned when it comes to feeding due to the slowness of its swimming.

I really hope you get a pond for them soon for their health. :rolleyes:
I beg your pardon, danio2004???!!! First of all I am very well aware of the size of tank my goldfish needs. I have been reading fish forums and books long enough to know this. And that was NOT my original question! Second of all, I said about the pond, and you roll your eyes at me and say you can't educate me??? I find this rather rude! Well, Geez, sorry I ask at all! :crazy:

Dear Catain Nemo
I do not say these things to cause offence or to start an argument, as I have I am sorry.
I have had goldfish for 20+ years and I feel that I am experianced enough to pass on my knowlage and help. I only wish to help you and others like you so you can enjoy your fish for longer.

I am just passing on advice and, It is like all other advice, yours to do with as you please. I do get fustrated when people don't accept the advice in the spirit it was given, and therefore I reacted wrongly.
I will leave you to your opinions and I will keep mine to myself (for you) in the future. Please feel free to continue to treat your fish as you see fit, They are your property after all and you have the right to do what you want.

Respectfully yours Danio

Ok I am still on holiday on a broken old computer which doesn't type but for this post I have decided to give it a go.

The Ranchu and Fantail will be fine together, neither fish are as able bodied as Commons or Comets and therefore should not be kept with them, but when kept together they should be fine. Now I don't think you have stated the size of your current tank, but as long as you are certain of upgrading to a pond in the near future I see no problem with a 10-15 gallon for tempory housing, remember danio that the basic rule noted applies to circumstances where a Goldfish will be housed for life or longer periods of time, smaller tanks can be used as grow outs. But beware Captain Nemo, Fancy Goldfish do not do to well in ponds with more able bodied fish and if you come from some where where there is cold winters then the Fancy Goldfish should be brought in from winter as they are not as tough as others Goldfish varities. :)

We found that out to late about fancies in ponds, a relation gave us one that was to big for his tank,we had it in our pond till winter ,then found it dead one morning,it was a beautifull fish to. :(

experianced enough to pass on my knowlage

nice speech shame about the typing :rofl: :rofl:

but on a serious note tank or pond makes no odds people have to learn and you learn by asking ,fancys are prone to frost damage so a ponds out of the window and as for tanks well enough said unless its 4-6 ft of course

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back