Quilt Batting

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

julielynn47

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I will tell you what.... this stuff works really good for clear water. I don't remember what members here told me to try it, but OMG...

The last time I changed the water in the 10 I really cleaned the glass and the water was kinda hideous. I thought to myself, okay lets see how great this stuff really is. So I put it in the filter and in an hour or less the water was crystal clear. Whoever said it rivals Purigen was not kidding. And since I put it in my 55 the water in it is so clear. I thought I would never see it that way again unless I ran the diatom filter. Now the only time I use the diatom filter is directly after a water change to clean up, really fast, everything I rub off leaves and such. The 75 is crystal clear as well.

Thanks for tip! Compared to the ready cut stuff it is almost free. LOL That helps tremendously on keeping cost of this kinda pricey hobby under control

Quilt batting? The heck is that?

Heres another tip, These make great sponge filters in a canister filter.
4011.jpg

l_cgs-scouring-pads-green.jpg

The options are endless. Especially in a canister or an ac.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

IMG_2799.JPG Quilt batting is the stuff that people who make quilts use to make the quilt. I don't know what it is called everywhere, but that is what it is called around here. LOL

I have canister filters and that is what I layered in the trays.

Sound like filter floss actually.

Its pretty much the same stuff used to fill certain pillows and quilts, white cotton stuff that can come apart fairly easily,

Very cheap and its something I use as well on my main tank filter.

The The green pad Nick showed are Scotch Brite pads. I had to do some reasearch some time ago on them at work and contacted 3M to get the information. Green Scotch Brite pads are loaded with just about every toxic heavy metal in existence in silicon carbide matrix. It might leach a some into aquarium water and it can scratch glass. If you can find it get the white ones which has no abrasive in it and no heavy metals. White scotch brite is also sold as a steel wool replacement (see the link below). It is a very good polishing filter but can clog up quickly if your water is very cloudy.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-2-in-x-4-in-0000-Super-Fine-Synthetic-Steel-Wool-Pads-6-Pack-10119/203783555?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-D24-Paint|&gclid=Cj0KEQjw76jGBRDm1K-X_LnrmuEBEiQA8RXYZ0DLG9GdOFtzO_skIJp7zDP06vkJIhr_SxxaGZTLeN8aAoS38P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Well I have been using them in a canister filter for 12 months without any ill affects, $2 for 10 of them, Even my LFS sells them.

20170316_175649.jpg
I put scrubber in my latest power head filter.

I thought about the quilt batting, but the floss is so much cheaper

Where in the world did you get filter floss cheaper than a bag of quilt batting? I only gave 7.00 for a package of the quilt batting.

Oh, that is what I am talking about! Quilt batting, pillow stuffing...same thing to me LOL I got the larger bag though

Do y'all think this would also work on my fluval 50? Are you replacing the sponge with the batting? I don't use the pouches of carbon and such. I buy in bulk then use $.89 draw string pouches for those things. Saves alot of money.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back