Question about Platys

maritzsa

Reaction score
Hey, so I am setting up a 20 gal long and want to create a rock-heavy aquascape with the only plants being Vallisneria and Java moss. I have been looking at different stocking ideas and having a Platy-only aquarium sounds very fun to me. However I was uncertain if they’d be happy in a rock heavy aquascape rather than something with wood and heavy heavy planting.

I doubt the fish will much care, but if you want to be somewhat "authentic," here's some data on the natural habitats of this fish. Most commercial fish now are of course tank or farm-raised, and come in a great variety of beautiful colours and varieties.

The natural species (Xiphophorus maculatus) occurs in North and Central America: from Veracruz, Mexico down to Belize, inhabiting creeks and swamps, warm springs, canals and ditches. Typically slow-moving water, with aquatic and marginal vegetation. The species X. variatus was originally endemic to the Atlantic slope of Mexico but introduced or feral populations now exist in several other countries. For both, the aquarium should be well planted and have a minimal flow from the filter. The substrate may be sand or fine gravel, with river rock and/or bogwood. This fish prefers to swim in the middle level of the aquarium.

I doubt the fish will much care, but if you want to be somewhat "authentic," here's some data on the natural habitats of this fish. Most commercial fish now are of course tank or farm-raised, and come in a great variety of beautiful colours and varieties.

The natural species (Xiphophorus maculatus) occurs in North and Central America: from Veracruz, Mexico down to Belize, inhabiting creeks and swamps, warm springs, canals and ditches. Typically slow-moving water, with aquatic and marginal vegetation. The species X. variatus was originally endemic to the Atlantic slope of Mexico but introduced or feral populations now exist in several other countries. For both, the aquarium should be well planted and have a minimal flow from the filter. The substrate may be sand or fine gravel, with river rock and/or bogwood. This fish prefers to swim in the middle level of the aquarium.
The X.maculatus and the X.variatus are just two examples of platies. There are way more platy species in the wild than just these two. But the commercial fancy strains are derived from these two platy species. Nowadays, other wild forms of the platy are beginning to gain a spot in the aquarium scene as well.

Hey, so I am setting up a 20 gal long and want to create a rock-heavy aquascape with the only plants being Vallisneria and Java moss. I have been looking at different stocking ideas and having a Platy-only aquarium sounds very fun to me. However I was uncertain if they’d be happy in a rock heavy aquascape rather than something with wood and heavy heavy planting.
So breeding and small fry will inevitably occur.
If you want to provide your adults with this live food, then your planting sounds fine. However, if you'd like some fry to survive, then the more plants, the better...especially of the feathered frond varieties...they'll give the fry somewhere to hide.

Cabomba or Ambulia should be added to all live bearers tanks as these plants give the fry a certain amount of protection from the adult fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back