Question About New Fish Tank And Fish-Less Cycle

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Thank you. I guess I will do some googling on sight when I go to buy the plants. Thanks again ;)

Let me clarify. Because plants will eat ammonia faster than the bacteria, the level of ammonia you need bacteria to remove is less. If there is less ammonia to remove, it requires less bacteria to do so. If one needs less bacteria, it takes less time to accumulate them. Live plants reduce the amount of bacteria, and thus the time, needed to get a tank cycled.

But you can also look at it from the other end. lets suppose one cycles a tank and then adds plants. those plants will still eat ammonia. That means you will not have a sufficient supply of ammonia available to feed all the bacteria you just worked hard to build up. So over the next weeks the total amount of bacteria will decline. This will not hurt a thing since there will still not be any measurable ammonia etc. in the tank.

Given the above facts, I never understood why some people suggest cycling and then planting. It never made any sense to me.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying.

Just another quick question if you please. What would you advise me to buy (as in, plants) and how many just for the specific purpose of cycling a tank?

I understand that the number of plant I will have will impact on the amount of bacteria that I'll need, but it's just that I can't really say now what or how many plants I will have once the aquarium is all done since I want to leave that for my dad to play around with himself. And I'll need to check what plants and what fish he will want, so it will take some research and all that, and that's why I thought we could do all that research whilst we were cycling the tank. So I just wanted to know what would be good plants to use just for this effect?

I hope I don't sound utterly dumb :p

Can anyone answer my previous question? I'd just like to know which plant I could be sure of that wouldn't have any problems with any fish and that's easy to maintain.

Edit: Sorry yet again for another probably idiotic question, but how does one feed the plants? Or do they just eat ammonia?

Edit 2: From what I've been reading, am I going to need to set up a CO2 system in my tank if I want plants? It seems mighty complicated (and very expensive!) 
confused.gif

Pretty much any plants will be fine, unless you get Cichlids.
Not all plants need CO2, so it is optional. The plants that don't need CO2 will just grow better and faster with CO2, however it isn't always needed. Lot's of people have low tech setups, me included.
You can feed plant ferts, add CO2 (included in some ferts) or you can just let them be (not all plants are fine like this). 

Ok, I will read some more about fertilizers on this forums. Thanks blondie :)

When I first set up my 60 gallon, (my first planted tank) I started out with just small, daily doses of seachem flourish, and I had vallis, crypts, java fern, anubias, java moss etc.  They all did great :)    I would start off slowly, and you can always add more and do more once you get comfortable. It's easy to get overwhelmed with all this stuff, and then you miss the whole purpose of enjoying your tank and fish, and that's no fun.  I was stressed with mine for a while, then I actually just sat and watched my fish yesterday and they were so big!! I realized I was too busy being stressed about growing my plants and I missed my fish grow up hahaha :rolleyes: Anyway, you get my point ;)

Yeah, I know what you mean. I started up all hyped up and then learning that I need to do this and that, and this works better if done this way, and that if done that way and at some point it just seemed like too much.

But I do want to enjoy it and have a good time looking after the fish and watching them grow :)

I will take a look at that seachem flourish as well. Thanks for the tip ;)

No problem. It's a great product, my plants were very happy with it :)

Ok, so we finally got our tank! :D

It's a beauty, I must say. So we went shopping, got fine sand (white and black), some small stones, some bogwood and some plants. My dad has cleaned the aquarium with a wet cloth, and as we speak is in the process of cleaning the sand and putting it on the tank. Then he'll put the plants in and fill it with water and then I shall begin the cycling procedure.

So, while my dad was cleaning the aquarium, I was doing tests to my tap water and I have a PH value of something in-between 7.5 and 8.0. Also, I tested for KH and Alkanity and I got the following values: 12.5 (KH value in dKH) and 4.45 (Alkalinity in meq / L). Is this normal or is there something wrong here? (I am still googling about these values).

Everything is looking good though! ^^ I just thought the top of the tank would be a bit more... resistant, at the lack of a better word. Looks too flimsy, and I fear my troll cat might damage it or break it.

I also realized I was utter dumb and bought myself an air pump that is nowhere near fit for my tank size <.< So we bought a new one today while we were at the store. I feel stupid and that's like 25£ wasted. My dad says he's got another use for it though, so I guess not all is lost :p

I'm sure some questions will popup, and I'll come back here.

Thanks to everyone for all the help so far :D

Ok, so it's all done now. I will start dosing amonia tomorrow. We have 18 plants in there. I will try to dose 3ppm. We're setting the water temp to 29 C. Will the ammonia start decreasing because of the plants? I'm guessing that I'll need to keep dosing it constantly then so that bacteria can grow.

Because plants use the ammonia, you don't need as much bacteria.Just keep dosing the tank as you would as if there were no plants at all in there and it should be fine.
I look forward to seeing pics :)

Congrats on the tank arrival!!! pics, pics, pics! You could even go to the journal section on this forum, and start a journal. It's a great way to keep track of all your steps, and that way if any questions or problems come along, everyone can see your progress so it is easy to help. Plus, it's always fun to look back and see how far you've come :)

Hey guys, I seem to have a problem. I dosed my tank with amonia yesterday, and according to the calculator it was just enough for 3ppm, however when I performed the test right now, it shows as 0ppm. Which basically means that the test vial still looked like it has only water in it. It was completely transparent. No color whatsoever. I only have the plants in the tank. It's completely impossible for the ammonia to have gone down that fast isn't it? :/

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back