Question About New Fish Tank And Fish-Less Cycle

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Ah, I saw this too late. I've already ordered the API nitrite test kit. Oh well, I can use both I guess, the API for lower values, and the Salifert for higher values.

According to what you said that means that on the test that I performed I would actually have around 3.2 ppm nitrite in the API test.

I will do the tests again later today and see how that goes bearing in mind the added info.

Thank you very much!

Also, you do pretty good at explaining ;)

I've just done a quick test. My ammonia appears to be between 0 and 0.25ppm (i'm not absolutely sure, but I think that's it) and nitrite is 5ppm (on API test). I'm thinking about feeding ammonia tomorrow, enough to put it up to 3ppm?

By the way, I know I need to run more tests, but right now I don't have time, so I will be doing a lot of tests tomorrow, both on the tank and on the tap water.

Unless you have done diluted nitrite tests, you have no idea what your nitrite level really is. I would definitely not dose to 3 ppm. That will create almost another 8 ppm of nitrite. If you have much over 5 now, you will end up stalling the cycle. The number for that would be just over 16 on the API kit.  At this stage you should be testing ever other day. You want to test ammonia at 0 two times in a row before adding ammonia and then only add 1/3 the amount of the initial dose it took you to make 3 ppm. So when two tests in a row show 0 ammonia, then add the small snack dose. After this, start to test every day. When you see ammonia at .25 or lower and nitrite clearly under 1 ppm, then hit the tank with a 3 ppm addition, wait 24 hours or so (less is OK more is not) and test. If 0/0 you are good to go. If not wait til ammonia is again .25 or under and nitrite clearly under 1 ppm and hit it again with a 3 ppm dose. You should get 0/0 soon this way.

You do have the nitrite-n test,  and on that the line is 5 ppm (5 ppm x 3.24 = 16.4 ppm on an API kit).

Ah, now I get what you're saying. Sorry, my mind wasn't quite working previously I guess xD

Okay, I will take it slow. Like I said, I will do a lot of tests today and will post the results here once I've done them.

Many thanks again, you have been very helpful :)

I just re-did the tests. The ammonia gave me the exact same color as yesterday, so I managed to realise that it was actually 0ppm. So I dosed 1ppm as per the one third tip you gave me, since this makes 2 readings as 0. My nitrite (on the salifert test kit) is between 1.5 and 2ppm. I didn't test for nitrates because that isn't really relevant correct? My main concern right now is just checking when nitrites go down, isn't it?

Tests today:

Ammonia: 0 - 0.25ppm (though it seems closer to 0)
Nitrites: 2ppm

Is it normal for the ammonia to have gone down so fast?

Okay, just been doing some more extra readings now.

Ammonia: 0;
Nitrites: 0;
Nitrates: Around 100 from what I can see.

I believe this means I go over to the next step of the cycle. YAY :D Excited.

OK- its time for you to do the "is it cycled" test. Dose to 3 ppm, wait at least 12 hours before testing. However, what you want to see is that within 24 hours (or less) of adding that 3 ppm, both ammonia and nitrite test at 0. If so, do a big wc, make sure temp is where you want it and stock that sucker.

Actually, when plants get thrown into the cycling equation the normal times change. However, because this is not an exact science, the times vary. The one thing to take away from this thread and the timing is why a heavily planted tank can be stocked to some extent almost instantly.

Also, lets not forget that plants normally come with some bacteria on them, So you often get a double whammy. The plants help jump start the cycled by seeding some bacteria and then they consume some of the ammonia.

What usually causes algae during a fishless cycle with plants is too much ammonia. One adds what they think should be 3 ppm of ammonia and waits a while to test and the ammonia level is below that 3 ppm. Or they wait a day and test and the ammonia level seems too low for what was added. One's instinct may be to add more ammonia right away to correct this. And the result is too much ammonia and that leads to algae. The presence of plants during a cycle should not alter the amount nor timing of ammonia additions.

I did the tests 24 hours after I dosed the 3ppm of ammonia, but the tank still had a little bit of ammonia left and a large quantity of nitrites. 24 hours after that (meaning, 48 hours later since dosing) it was reading 0ppm on both ammonia and nitrites. So I dosed 3ppm again and will test tonight to see how it goes. Getting pretty close :D

By the way, if the tank is fully cycled, but there are still a few days out from me stocking it (we won't be able to until the end of the month), how should I be feeding the bacteria? 1ppm of ammonia every other day?

Thank you all so much for the help you've given me throughout the entire thing. This is all still pretty new to me, so all your help is greatly appreciated ^^

And I also thought this whole process was pretty fast, I was actually expecting it to take a whole lot longer, according to the guides and stuff. I guess the plants, the heat here in the UK and a bit of luck were all on my side :p

We have some tiny snails on the tank now, my dad is checking if they eat the plants. If they don't I think he'll let them stay, otherwise I guess he'll want them out. What's the best way to deal with them by the way? As far as I could tell, there's only some traps of some sort which you can use to catch snails.

I know I promised some pics before and never put them, but I will try to in the next few days.

Unlike a cycled tank without a lot of plants, your tank plants will likely consume most/all of the ammonia if you add a smaller 'snack" dose. I would suggest about the middle of the week between now and the end of the month that you add the 3 ppm amount. That should insure any bacteria will get some. It will also confirm the tank is 'cycled".

It's a plasticy type thing. It's fake, but when in the water and moving looks like it's the real deal. My dad really wanted one. But it feels super soft, so I don't think it'll harm the fish :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back