Pseud's Nano Journal

omg, what a spaz. I didn't even think of that.

Ammonia: 0.5
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0

So how do I deal with the hairy, kinda mucusy algae that i've cultivated thus far?

whoohoo, not bad for a blind stab in the dark then. i'd say the old fashioned gravel vac and manual clean up mate. better off to get it before it's a massive problem. obviously 50% water changes will get rid of the ammonia. i dont suppose you've got a little crappy filter lying around have you? if you have i personally would bung it in and add a dollop of Cycle. it should be back on track in a few days once you have the bacteria going.

your no filter theory will work but you would need a cart load of fast growing plants to use up the inevitable ammonia quick enough to prevent algae. in a larger tank this would not be too hard as the volume of water would dilute the ammonia so it would not be so much of a problem.

basically in your tank that betta is weeing all the time so the ammonia will build up relatively quickly. if the same fish was in a 10G with no filter your plants wouldn't have to work quite as fast to remove it.

make sence?

To kick start a new filter, i clean the filters on another tank and rinse new filter media in the mucky water.
Cant see stuff like cycle being any good, cant get my head round bacteria living in a bottle for long.

Makes perfect sense. I don't have a filter lying around unfortunately. I could pick one up, but, then I have to work a little harder on Her for the pressurized CO2 for my 55 lol

Looks like I'll be keeping up with some very frequent and regular water changes!

What about the algae that's currently in there. removing the driftwood is an option but, I don't wanna have to rescape the entire tank. Things never look right if you try and recreate it without taking out the substrate, replacing, and covering it back over with sand. Gotta get that wood in first.

I think I heard that mollies will eat this stuff. Maybe I'll temporarily take Mr Betta out and try that? What do you reckon mate?

hey pseud i just breezed thru the recent posts and are you having problems filtering your nano tank ? you could go DIY and create a nano canister and also diffuse your co2 at the same time... im working on making one too now and its the best solution i could think of now :(

This is just a suggestion. You've probably already tossed around the idea.

I use a small submersible fluvol in my 3 gallon and my 5 gallon nano's, to filter and help diffuse my C02.
I simply drilled a hole in the side/bottom of the fluvol the same diameter as the hose the C02 runs threw and inserted it into the fluvol.

I've noticed the bubbles will build up in the sponge for awhile, helping diffuse the C02 before it ever gets spit out the out take on the fluvol busting it into a million little tiny bubbles further helping to diffuse the C02.

I've had my 3 G set up for 6 months give or take, no algae and the 5 G has been set up for over a month now with no signs of algae what so ever.

I really really want to get pics of them for you guys, but I cant seem to get a clear pic of them that gives them justice.

I have a crappy 2 MP cam, any suggestions on what I could do to get a clear pic?
(not trying to hijack pseud) :D

Hehehe, wow, I'm getting all the birthday wishes today! Thanks mate!

Most reactions

Back