Pressurised CO2

nodding_dino

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Well, it's a big outlay, but I know that it's not just me that is giving serious consideration to going pressurised.

Prior to shelling out £100+ I thought it might be quite nice for those that are currently running pressurised CO2 to give the unititiated an idea of how their system performs etc.

Any hints, tips and recommendations greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

ND

By the looks of this recent thread of mine not many people here seem to have one already. Though it seems as though gf225 is getting one soon as well as ADelphi who's getting the JBl one tomorrow.

nodding_dino said:
I'd been reading that one with interest!  Have you got any closer to making a decision?
[snapback]873410[/snapback]​
I'm very tempted to go for the JBL - so I'm just waiting to hear what the verdict is from ADelphi. I've really had enough with the Hagen mix and not working properly and though it's quite an initial investment to make, I think it's one that's indeed very worth while.

a quick scoot around the old interweb has shown a fair old range of prices for the JBL Proflora set 2 (£155 (livingseas.co.uk or aquatics-online.co.uk) - £199 (just4fish.co.uk)), the only Dennerle retailer I can find so far is newleaf which seels the classicline prof at £130. Although slightly cheaper, the Dennerle doesn't seem to include a night shut off solenoid...although I peoples opinions vary on this as a requirement anyway!

I think a refillable cannister is probably better long term, so I guess it's pretty much down to these two?

I might be wrong (and I'll check when I go tomorrow) but I think the JBL 2 is £130 at my lfs.

Hi ND

Ive been looking into this as well, and spent a bit of time last week doing a bit of research, and tbh there really isnt a lot of choice, it comes down to few systems, the D&D co2 system, the Jbl or the Dennerle or alternatively you buy the pieces seperatly and make your own system, although having said that Dupla make a set without the cylinder, which you would have to buy seperatly, but they only supply a single guage, and i really want a dual guage, so that rules that out, there is also an Aquamedic system but this just doesnt compete anywhere close on price to other systems.

For me the choice really came down to the JBL systems in the end, the D&D systems only come with disposable cylinders and you would have to keep replaceing these or buy a seperate refillable cylinder, you also need a convertor if you buy a seperate cylinder, the Dennerle although very nice are at least £20 more expensive than an equivelant JBL system.

So for me the choice really is between two systems both JBL.

JBL Profi set 1 @ £109.99

JBL Profi set 2 @ £156.99

Set 2 is the same as set 1 except that it includes a night time shut off solenoid, both use 500g refillable cylinders.

Now the only quibble i have with the JBL system is the reactor or diffuser will have to go inside the tank, and i dont like the look of it, yes i am fussy :D but i would prefer the diffuser that comes with the Dennerle (same as gfs, basically a longer ladder than the nutrafin ones, but idealially i would like an inline reactor for my cannister filter, these can be made easily enough with a bit of diy, but you would need a seperate pump to run one inline as far as i know) but you could always continue to use the nutrafin ladder hooked up to the system, it just wont dissolve 100% of the co2.

So at the end of the day the choice really is do i want a night time shut off solenoid, or do i really need one, so decisions decisions, but thats what it really comes down to at the moment.

I also intend to before i make any definate decisions to check out building a system myself from the component parts, as i would really prefer a bigger co2 cylinder, that eventually i could split between 2 aquariums from the same system, i know this can be done but just need to do a bit more homework on it, but i would definatly need a bigger cylinder for a start.

Funny auctually if i put in D&D CO2 System into google, bloozoos origional post from a couple of weeks ago comes up first, so maybe i should ask her :D only joking bloozoo but it does come up first :)

zig said:
Funny auctually if i put in D&D CO2 System into google, bloozoos origional post from a couple of weeks ago comes up first, so maybe i should ask her :D only joking bloozoo but it does come up first :)
[snapback]873564[/snapback]​
:lol: I'm famous ! :rofl:

You said you don't like the is the JBL diffuser - where can I see what this looks like.
I even checked out the JBL website but can't really see anything.

sorry I really should do some research of my own before posting like this...but can I be cheeky and ask anyway.

Do these pressurized systems allow you to adjust the amount of CO2 and does it say what levels you can achieve?

I think if I were to get one I'd def go with the night shut off valve. To me that is one of the benefits of having pressurized CO2.

I need to think long and hard about this.

Are there any disadvantages? Are they at danger of exploding? Are they safe to use while you're on a 2 week holiday?

From what I've read and understand - they are far more controllable and stable than the yeast mix systems most of use. Check out the JLB website (go to English and just look for the CO2 profi 2 system in plantcare - they don't do weblinks otherwise I could have posted one) - it give a good explanation there.

bloozoo2 said:
zig said:
[snapback]873564[/snapback]​
:lol: I'm famous ! :rofl:

You said you don't like the is the JBL diffuser - where can I see what this looks like.
I even checked out the JBL website but can't really see anything.
[snapback]873587[/snapback]​

Ye it would seem from google that you are the expert on D&D co2 systems

The JBL diffuser looks like this, this is exactly what it looks like except that this is an extension, not the auctual piece that comes with the kit, the piece that comes with the kit i cant find a decent picture for, but i would guess its about 21/2 inches wide by maybe 8 inches high, its exactly the same concept as the ladder except it goes in a circle.

Attachments

• 128008.jpg
    128008.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 49
Thanks Zig - I can live with that I suppose - just hide it behind some Amazon Swords or Vallis :dunno:

Hey Nodding Dino - fed up of mixture changing already?!

It's no secret that I'm a big Dennerle fan - IMO the best readily available planted equipment available in the UK. I use their lighting, substrate, fertilisers (+ EI) and now their pressurized CO2. Here's a link for those that missed me setting it up. http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=865645

I considered the JBL systems but found them to be of inferior quality. The Dennerle range offers far more options to customize for each individual. For instance there are about 8 diffusers to choose from, 3 cylinder sizes, 3 regulators and loads of spare parts. There a more complete kits to chose from too, there's only 3 with JBL.

Price wise they are similar for equivalent kits.

The overall quality of the hardware seems better too - like comparing a VW to an Audi - both nice (and German) but the Audi is nicer!

Excuse me but how the heck that that happen and how on earth did I miss that :blink: :dunno: :blink:
Was this an early birthday present ? I thought your birthday was only next monday ;)

I'm definitely going pressurized - it's just a toss up between Denerle and JBL at the mo.....but hopefully within the next couple of weeks I'll be set up too - one way or another :D

Most reactions

Back