Please Help My Favourite Fish Is Dying!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

If a fish arches its back into a c shape then there is no hope but if its on its back it could right itself with warm water and no food to see if the gut can clear itself. Three days is long enough to see if it can save itself.
Usually though I would agree that a fish on its back isnt a good sign so you should prepare yourself for the worse.
I've taken him out of the tank and put him in a bowl on his own, his back isn't arched but he is still laid upside down and then swimming a little bit. I have noticed now that I can see him that alot of his tail is missing, could this be caused by the others having a go at him or does it sound likesomething else?
Since putting him in the bowl he is a little moreactive but I'm not hopeful

it could be finrot as mine was like that when it had it still slightly active but there isnt really anything you can do for it but i would use the treatment to prevent your other fish from getting it

Secondary bacterial infections are common.

i would say 25% and add the treatment after
He has been in the bowl on his own for about 15mins or so and he is swimming about the right way up!!!!
Don't wanna get my hopes up but this is the most he has moved all day.
Do you think it is worth me putting some of the medicine in for him tomorrow if he lasts the night?
Bet you think I'm being totally soft but he is my favourite and I'm very fond of him.

Dont add anything tonight and just cover the bowl leaving a little bit open for air and see how he is tomorrow.
If he is ok then add him back to the other tank and see how he does. Maybe having the water low took the pressure off his swimbladder but dont feed hin for three days.

Dont add anything tonight and just cover the bowl leaving a little bit open for air and see how he is tomorrow.
If he is ok then add him back to the other tank and see how he does. Maybe having the water low took the pressure off his swimbladder but dont feed hin for three days.
Will I be ok leaving him in the bowl on his own for a few days cause if I put him back in the tank he might get some food when I feed the others?
He is in a plain glass bowl with luke warm water in and nothing else.

i dont see why not and if he does improve there should be no need for treatment

i dont see why not and if he does improve there should be no need for treatment
Thanks very much for all your advice. I've got him in a quiet corner and I'll just keep my fingers crossed.
Should I treat my other fish or not? cause I still don't know for defo if it's swim bladder or fin rot do I?

try and get sum gd photos printed off and take them to your local pet shop they may be able to help if they say swimbladder dont bother what other fish do you have

They are prone to swimbladder i think if it is finroet some of those would have caught it aswell he should be ok on a gd diet

you should vary their food every now and againim not sure what with but i just got a buuble eye and i was given that advice

Most reactions

Back