PLEASE HELP! I forgot to put dechlorinator into my water during a WC though my canister filter and now I'm freaking out :(

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

kieran01pd2016

Reaction score
I was doing a 30% WC on my 180L tank.

I was using the canister filter inlet to suck water through the canister to get it out of a tub and move it into the tank through the spray bar.

I had gotten about 3-4 mins into the process when I suddenly realized I had forgotten the dechlorinator. At that point about 15% of the water in the tub had already made its way to the tank. I literally ran and got my Prime and added it straight to the tub, as well as a little bit into the tank.

All the fish seem to be doing fine, none of them look stressed at all.

My main concern in my BB in the filter. As it was basically pushing chlorinated water for 3-4mins, would that kill all the BB in the filter and therefore crash the cycle? Is there anything I can do to help mitigate any damage I may have done?

I feel like such an idiot. I remember watching videos prior to starting my tank about the most common mistakes and one of them was forgetting to dechlorinate. I thought that I would NEVER have done that :(.

If it makes any difference, my tank pH is 6.3 and I'm using city water.

How long has the tank been established/ cycled?

If you have chloramines, it's more urgent than with chlorine, but either way, you handled it correctly and I wouldn't worry.

If you have chloramines, it's more urgent than with chlorine, but either way, you handled it correctly and I wouldn't worry.
All will be well, nothing to worry about.
Thanks guys... I saw a video talking about how it takes several hours for chloramine to kill all the BB. I've probably still lost some, but at least it's not all of it.

I read research (can't find it now) that beneficial bacteria are more resistant to both chloramine and chlorine than we think. The main issue with chlorine/chloramine is the fish and you got it in time.

@Byron might know.

Most reactions

Back