Platy Staying At Top Of Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Klew123

Reaction score
I have a 5.5 gallon cycled tank with three platy sisters. For the past few weeks I've noticed that one will go into these bouts where she just stay at the top in the tank in the corner with her gills rapidly flaring. I know there's enough oxygen intake and the others act totally fine so I don't think that's that problem. She will do this for quite a while and then occasionally stop to swim and forage and act normal and then goes back a few minutes later. These bouts usually last for a day or so. There in no ammonia or nitrites but the nitrates have been a bit high(80 ppm) and I'm trying to lower them. But if that's what was causing it wouldn't the others act different as well? I do a 20% water change weekly and the temp stays around 78 degrees F. I've also noticed they have had long strings of(usually white) poo but I feel if it were parasites she would show more symptoms by now. Help!

So I've kept lots of platys and they are kinda odd when it comes to doing strange things anyways I know you said it's a cycled tank but a 5.5 gallon tank is to small for three platys they are probably producing more waist then your water can handle and it's effecting the weakest one which is the one having problems.
You need a 10 gallon at least which are $10-$15 at petsmart or Petco and all the stuff will switch over except for the hood.
If you can't get a 10 gallon then do a 20% water change every 2 days on the 5.5 gallon.
Hope this helps you out sorry if it's not the happiest news.

Klew123 said:
 I've also noticed they have had long strings of(usually white) poo but I feel if it were parasites she would show more symptoms by now. Help!

I agree with RRaquariums. But regarding the white feces problem, they may have very well contracted something called wasting disease. I'm currently treating this parasite in my 36 gal with API'S General Cure product and it is working great. However, I would analyze a bit more before jumping to conclusions. Usually when the fish start having swollen abdomens along with the white, long, and stringy feces it's a sure fire sign of parasitical invasion. 

Agree with much of what is said here, a 5½Gallon aquarium is way too small, I would recommend something much larger, minimum of 15gallons.

The fact that nitrate has been quite high should be ringing alarm bells for you. If you know it's high, and you know that the only way to control it is via water changes, then that should tell you that you are not changing enough water. Do a large 80%+ water change to bring the nitrate right down, then go to 50% weekly and see how this affects your nitrate problem.

As with all creatures, there are stronger ones and weaker ones. THe weaker ones show the signs of problems before the stronger ones.

Livebearers, in my experience, do seem to have long stringy poo, much more so than egg-layers, but more grey than white. White does usually indicate an internal parasitic infection, so keep a close eye.

They're still only slightly more than an inch long right now so I was planning on upgrading when they get a little bit bigger. Their poo isn't always light-colored--usually it's reddish but sometimes it is lighter. If they don't have parasites but I treat them just in case would that do more harm than good? I just did a 80% water change an so far they're acting normal(begging for food lol). What level should the nitrates be because I get differing answered between 0-40 ppm being the safe ranges. So should I go ahead and treat them for parasites just in case or will that cause more harm than good? I also have two ghost shrimp, so would that harm them?

I agree with RRaquariums. But regarding the white feces problem, they may have very well contracted something called wasting disease. I'm currently treating this parasite in my 36 gal with API'S General Cure product and it is working great. However, I would analyze a bit more before jumping to conclusions. Usually when the fish start having swollen abdomens along with the white, long, and stringy feces it's a sure fire sign of parasitical invasion.

I have a 200L tank with 8 platys in it, and three danios, we did have four danios but one got ill and died a few days ago, he had a swollen abdomen, and his scales were slightly raised. Now one of the platys has been staying at the top of the tank for two days and I am concerned she has the same problem. No raised scales at present, and while the danio was bloated, she is not, but look a little fat on her underside. She is my daughter favourite fish, and I reallt want to help her, do you have any ideas what could be causing this. My ammonia is on zero and PH is around 7, I did a 25% water change today to be on the safe side. I think their poo might be a little whiter than usual, and I am wondering what if anything I should use to treat this?

I get differing answered between 0-40 ppm being the safe ranges.

It is recommended that nitrate be kept at less than 20ppm. However that said there are many people that have more than 20ppm in their tap water. Some people just use their high nitrate water And in some cases their fish live a long time. However there is no available data to tell you exactly what the limits are for the particular fish you have. Other use RO or distilled water and add necessary mineral and fertilizer (if they want plants) Others have used nitrate absorbents to filter out nitrates.

I personally don't have a nitrate problem but I know Abbey's Dad does and he uses filters. You might want to contact him.
http://www.fishforums.net/members/abbeysdad.74724/

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back