Platy Laying On Bottom Of Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RyanV

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
This male platy is around 4 months old and today I noticed it laying at the bottom of the tank :/ I put it into a bowl with saltwater right away and let it sit in there for around maybe 15mins. Put it back in the tank and several hours later it's still laying on the bottom. What's strange is I can't find a single thing that looks wrong with it. To add to that this is about the fourth fish now in the same tank that this keeps happening to! I really need to figure this out!

I can do another water test in a bit if you would like, but I test it regularly with a liquid tester and last time it was:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nirite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 40ppm

2h3twm9.jpg

Bless her. She looks sad.

What does it look like when she goes to the toilet?
Is she still eating?
Is she resting for long periods of time?

haven't seen it go to the bathroom, hasn't ate today, and staying in one spot for about 2-3 mins.

Sorry I lost my internet connection last night and couldn't get back on the forum.

All you can do is isolate the fish and try a internal bacteria medication.

How is the fish today?

Didn't make it, not sure why this is happening :/

@MrsM, I have 2 airstones in the 55 gallon, so that's not it.

:rip: sorry for your loss.. could it have just been old age? she have any marks or spots on her before she died? any other fish showing symptoms of anything?

Sorry for your loss. She didn't look to good in the pic bless her.
rip.gif

I would maybe suggest doing some daily water changes on your tank..

Same thing happened to one of my platys the other day. She was fine, then all of a sudden she got sick. Now I'm worried about adding any new fish to the tank, worried that there's something wrong in there. The two remaining platys seem okay so far, but feel like I should treat the tank somehow before I bring a new fish home.

He said the platy was 4 months old so it's not old age... RIP :(

Did you do a fish-in cycle with her? I did a fish-in cycle and because of the ammonia levels they were exposed to, more of my original fish died (mostly several months after completing cycle).

Ive heard that the fish you use to cycle the tank will die shortly after the cycle is complete, i hope not....i used a cory.....but i didnt know about cycling etc,.....ill be sad when he goes... :sad:

Same thing happened to me this morning!
My platy was about to burst so I put her in the breeding box, and then all of a sudden she just kind of sat there. I thought she was having a tough time, so I turned the lights off and added some plants in there to maybe ease her stress. This morning, she was on her side, and the current was pushing her around.... It was so sad. She was still alive, twitching at times, but when I released her back in with her tank mates, her body just kind of sunk and she died :( She was all dull with dark grey patches on her head that weren't there last night.
Does any one know what may have happened with her?
Water levels are the same as Fish Crazy, and all my other platies look good.

Most reactions

trending

Back