Planaria Or Detritus Worms?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

So far no change. He's still sinking. I may need to try to find a breeding net thing to keep him in as he seemed a bit weaker. That way it won't be hard for him to get to the surface. I will do another bath in the morning, maybe a bit longer this time. I won't feed him again tomorrow either. I don't know if he'd even be interested in food anyway at this point. Should I try a pee the day after? Or just leave him be for now?

When I treated a Betta for pine coning with ES it only took 2 treatments,  and they were 8 hours apart, I would suggest you PM Byron, or betta fish and ask them to look at this thread for more advice,

Thanks Nick. I wasn't sure if I should have done a second one or not. I can go ahead and do another one now though. Then maybe another one in the morning again if he's still like he is.

Just finished his bath. 13-14 mins long. (He doesn't like to be cupped). He's almost done in reviving bath now and will go back in his tank after. I will shoot for another bath in 8 hours if still no improvement.

As I said above at this point I would seek further advice from a more knowledgeable person before proceeding.

Hi, just got your PM, sorry to hear about Aiden 
sad.png
sadly I haven't had much luck with treating them once they get to the pineconing stage, I remember using Tetracycline once on a female that had it that did improve but it then came back at a later stage and the meds no longer helped. I haven't had much luck with epsom salt baths either though it is said to make them feel more comfortable so by all means continue, sorry I can't be much more help, fingers cross he improves for you.

Thanks betta fish. The pineconing just all of a sudden happened the other day without warning. Then he started to swell. I have tetracycline but would have to be careful as the packet is made for ten gallon and he's only in a five gallon. Do you think it's worth a try though? I am going to get a breeder net to help him reach the surface easier though. I'll do another bath for him soon then too.

I think that maybe he got parasites. I had the dumb Hydra, thought he was losing a bit of tail fin from being stressed out by them. Moved him to a different tank to treat the Hydra. Then moved him back and then noticed the planaria. I'm wondering if some of the plants had other nasties on them that I didn't notice. That's the only thing I could come up with that could have caused this.

Well...I did my best but my poor guy didn't make it. I'm just glad he's not suffering anymore. Swim in peace my aidan, my little fire.

Aw
cry1.gif

Am really sorry it did not work out for the little guy.

Wish I could have help more but afraid I simply did not know enough on that to offer any real advice :(

Sorry to hear that.

It's ok, thanks for all the help you guys did give. The whole dropsy thing was totally unexpected when I started this thread. I'll probably do a second wormer treatment in the morning to be on the safe side since I didn't do it today. Then I dont know what I'll do after that. It may just be the three horned nerites and some plants for a while.

Sorry to hear that Aiden didnt make it, Siamese Fighters have a way of becoming our best friends and almost dog like. Unfortunately Dropsy is really only a symptom not an entire disease, and there can be many underlaying causes for Dropsy appearing, hence a few choices for treating that may or may not end up working. Sadly I have never had a fish recover from Dropsy once its pineconed.

I think he may have gotten parasites when I introduced plants that I didn't treat. I don't know if it was just external that I couldn't see or internal. I never once saw him poo so couldn't say. (He was in my home office area that I haven't really used much so I wasn't in there all the time.) I think i was just too late figuring it out. But, I suppose he could have had something all along that just didn't show up too. Poor boy was just over a year old.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back