Place Your Bets

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Akasha72

Warning - Mad Cory Woman
Reaction score
So this morning I got up to cory eggs on my glass ... all eaten unfortunately but about 10 minutes ago I noticed a leaf floating around in the current and went to pick it out .... that's when I noticed 4 cory eggs on it ... and four intact cory eggs too... and even better 4 fertile eggs!! 

So who's the culprit? 

Here's the evidence: My peppered cories always lay their eggs on the glass and they always get eaten, usually by my curvicep dwarf cichlid. I did notice a male peppered cory doing his waggle dance in front of a female this morning but she was ignoring him. BUT ... my peppered cories always lay in a batch of 6 .... 

The next possible culprit is my panda cories ... now they like to hide their eggs in plants so finding eggs on a leaf could point to them. They also tend to lay in smaller clutches. BUT I havn't seen spawning behaviour from the panda's at all

The next possible culprit is the new guys - my melini cories. I have just one female and two boys and they've yet to spawn so unlikely it's them? No idea ...

So I thought we could have some fun and play guess the mummy and daddy!!

The leaf is now in a jug with an air stone - I figured they deserved a chance. If they hatch I will let you all know who's the daddy lol

My money is on the pandas.  Mine put an egg on a plant, hid so well I transferred it unknown to another tank - where it hatched and grew up.

perhaps both had a spawning session in the night and the peppered lots eggs got eaten and the clever panda's hid theirs better! Who know's ... it's all a bit of fun. I just thought it might be nice to have a fun thread running amongst the 'my fish are dying' threads :D

Anyone else want a punt? 

We have one bet on panda's

I bet pandas too.....
Just a few days and we will find out!

true ... if they hatch I'll take photo's and we'll see if we can identify them. I've seen newly hatched peppered but never seen newly hatched panda's

Akasha72 said:
true ... if they hatch I'll take photo's and we'll see if we can identify them. I've seen newly hatched peppered but never seen newly hatched panda's

Newly hatched pandas are tough to see... 

are they? Okay ... well newly hatched peppered are a dark grey/black so that should be easy then!

I've hatched and raised several peppered over the years. I've watched them burst from their eggs and watched em grow. I actually hope these are panda's as it'll make a nice change :)

Well, keep in mind, mine were in a community setup with a sand substrate and I never harvested the eggs... so I wasn't sure where to even begin to look, or when.  The only time I saw them in the tank was either: a) when they moved or b) when they were big enough to feel safe coming out of hiding.

I've had two panda's hatched and raised in the community tank - they just showed up out of the blue about 3 months apart. So I never saw them until they were large enough to feel safe coming out into the open. 

I've got 4 panda cories out and about at the moment and there's a bit of spawning behaviour going on ... hmm

I reckon it's the angels ... they're in spawning mode and so they're releasing breeding hormones into the water ... it'll be making the rest of the fish a bit fruity 
laugh.png

Im crossing my fingers for the melini...i know you want more.  :)

Even on a leaf I am betting on Peppered, my peppereds lay eggs all over the place including on leaves and thick weed.
To help stop the eggs growing fungi even though you have an airstone, you can add something acidic to the water or even methylene blue.

I would be wagering pandas, sheerly because corydoras master ( EA ) reckons it's the pandas. But instead I'm going to against the grain and say the peppered cories!
Best of luck with them whatever they are!

Baccus said:
Even on a leaf I am betting on Peppered, my peppereds lay eggs all over the place including on leaves and thick weed.
To help stop the eggs growing fungi even though you have an airstone, you can add something acidic to the water or even methylene blue.

I threw my meth blue out just over a month ago!! Luckily I live in a acidic water area and so hopefully they will be okay. I've looked in on the eggs this morning and they look okay. No sign of fungus. 

Vethian said:
Im crossing my fingers for the melini...i know you want more.  
smile.png

That would be my wish as it would save me from buying more but with only one female in the tank and males that just hide constantly I very much doubt it's the melini's.

It's between the peppered and panda's ... I'm sure of that. And if they survive they are going to my lfs. I have 7 peppered and 6 panda's. I don't need 4 more of either!
TallTree01 said:
I would be wagering pandas, sheerly because corydoras master ( EA ) reckons it's the pandas. But instead I'm going to against the grain and say the peppered cories!
Best of luck with them whatever they are!

Thank you. Nothing is set in stone yet. I've been here before and lost the lot so until they are a centimetre long and feeding well I don't bank on anything

Akasha72 said:
Im crossing my fingers for the melini...i know you want more.  
smile.png

That would be my wish as it would save me from buying more but with only one female in the tank and males that just hide constantly I very much doubt it's the melini's.
You never know. I was down to 1 F and 2 M pandas before they started breeding.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back