Place Your Bets

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ch4rlie said:

I believe it.  Did I ever tell the story of the panda cory egg that hitched a ride on a plant from my home tank to my school tank (without water) and hatched and grew in a barren tank that was being cycled?  

Wow! That's something else.

Shows they can be pretty resilient
smile.png

Is that cory still in that tank and doing well?

Unfortunately, no.  That was about 4 or 5 years ago, and who knows what sort of long term damage was done.  I lost all my pandas about a year and a half ago.  

I have some incredibly exciting news ...

Of the 3 babies that are 8 weeks old at least one is NOT a panda cory. Now it's bigger I can see it's got spots all over and the spot near it's tail isn't black ... it's blue ... and it's dorsal fin isn't black 

AND looking at the other two .... their dorsals arn't black either they are clear. They don't have any obvious spots yet BUT ... I suspect I have 3 smudge spot cories 

yahoo.gif

yahoo.gif

yahoo.gif

this is great news as I only have 3 smudge spot adults and I wanted 3 more and they are like hens teeth in my area .... oh I'm so excited now!!

hmm well the initial excitement is wearing off a little... does anyone know if panda's and smudge spots can interbreed?

7 more eggs this morning - 2 look as if they may be infertile though. There had been more eggs but they'd been eaten. I just hope these are pure and not hybrid

I have 6 new cories in the process of hatching ... can we all please cross our fingers that they are full panda's or full melini and not hybrids

I handed my 3 hybrids from the last spawn to my Dad yesterday

my panda cories are really really frisky tonight ... I wonder if eggs are imminent 

happy to announce I have little cories - the 6 that hatched 10 days ago are starting to make an appearance. It's too early to tell if all 6 have made it but there's definitely 4. I've just been watching them exercising their fins swimming round and round, up and down the glass and trying to get to the surface. They look like panda's again, although it's too soon to tell for certain.

I'll keep updating as I work out how many there are.

Meanwhile, I have 4 full panda's ready to go to the lfs. I was there this week and they have some panda's in stock right now that are the same size so I'll be taking them in some time next week.

Success!!! I'm a happy fishy breeder. It's taken a while but I've got there :D 
fish.gif

59.gif

more cory eggs just been spotted on a leaf. Boy do they hide them well!! I think there's about 8 new eggs. 

At this rate my fry tank is never going to be broken down!

they just keep on turning up!!! There's another baby panda cory in my main tank snuffling around close to the java fern roots. These fish are so prolific now!

I've managed to net the new cory that was in my main tank - but he wasn't alone! There's at least one more much smaller hiding in the java fern roots. My tetra's know it's there though, they're circling looking for it so it might not survive. Time will tell ...

I just can not believe this is happening though ... the panda's are seriously good at hiding eggs and the fry are seriously good at hiding

I'm just getting around to uploading some recent photo's so I thought I'd share this photo of the baby cories taken just before they went to the lfs. 

002_zpscgn2bkoh.jpg

well ... surprise babies just keep on turning up! Tonight I saw something in my main tank out of the corner of my eye and then I watched a tiny baby panda cory swim out into the open ... direct into the path of my male angel!

I grabbed my net and managed to get him to safety before the angel saw him. He's now in my fry tank

011_zpsmufcpe0f.jpg

And a photo of the others in my fry tank that hatched in there - not as big and too early to tell what they are

001_zpstbhdjp75.jpg

Just an update on the newest gang of baby cories.

So, they were all living in the smallest compartment of this divided tank and as they were getting bigger I decided to move them over into the larger side and give them more room to swim and grow. It also gave me the opportunity to actually see how many there were. I knew there was the one I'd caught in my main tank last week and definitely two from the 6 eggs that hatched in the divided tank but how many more???

Well I lifted out the moss covered rock and out shot a group of cories! I was surprised how many there was! I have 5. Four survivors of the the 6 eggs and the one from the main tank.

The one from the main tank is definitely a panda ... the other 4 are yet to develop their colours so we shall have to wait and see. 

Now I have an empty compartment ... hello cories ... time for some more eggs please :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back