PH is it a problem?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Id like to keep corydoras julii and they need a ph of 6 to 7.5 could i add peat moss to make a difference?

But the original post pH gone up to 8 tap water is also 8. suggests tank and tap is at 8

Yes, agreed. My post #6 was an explanation of the likely reason the pH test results for the tank water went from 7.2 to 8.

Yes, agreed. My post #6 was an explanation of the likely reason the pH test results for the tank water went from 7.2 to 8.

I am clearly misreading something then, you are suggesting that dissolved CO2 is causing an increase in pH from the old tap reading of 7.2 to the new tap reading of 8? with no apparent behavioural change in testing method?

Id like to keep corydoras julii and they need a ph of 6 to 7.5 could i add peat moss to make a difference?

It will not make a difference here. That is why I asked about GH and KH previously. The pH is tied to the mineral in the water (GH) and the KH acts as a buffer to prevent fluctuations. So the higher the KH the more steady/stable the pH will be, because it will resist other factors.

This is why one needs to first reduce the GH/KH if you also want a lower pH.

There are other factors affecting pH, from CO2 and additives the water authority may use, etc. But with the GH of 12 dGH and KH of 6 dKH here, and the pH around 8 in the source water, it is not going to be affected much by organics such as peat.

You didn't mention pH adjusters, but I will just mention that the above also explains why chemicals to lower pH do not work and are dangerous; they lower the pH immediately, but over the next few hours the buffering capability of the GH/KH bring it back up.

Now, having said that, to the Corydoras julii. If this is the true species, it will be wild caught and would fare better in softer water long term. I said true species because C. julii is quite rare in the hobby, since it occurs in rivers and areas that are generally not heavily-fished commercially and is therefore seldom exported; the few times it does appear it has probably been collected in the Rio Para which is regularly fished. The "Julii" cory most often seen in stores is more likely to be C. trilineatus. The true C. julii has a spotted pattern on the head and body, and the lateral stripe is either not present or extends only midway along the body. C. julii is also somewhat smaller and more compact-looking in size than C. trilineatus.

I am clearly misreading something then, you are suggesting that dissolved CO2 is causing an increase in pH from the old tap reading of 7.2 to the new tap reading of 8? with no apparent behavioural change in testing method?

No. The water in the tap and in the tank is basically the same pH, 7.8 or 8. The OP said his earlier test was 7.2, and this was subsequently confirmed to have been tap water that had not been out-gassed, so the CO2 that seems to have been in the tap water then resulted in a false and lower pH reading.

No. The water in the tap and in the tank is basically the same pH, 7.8 or 8. The OP said his earlier test was 7.2, and this was subsequently confirmed to have been tap water that had not been out-gassed, so the CO2 that seems to have been in the tap water then resulted in a false and lower pH reading.

Yeah but my point is if the OP didn't know to off gas the water all of his readings will be affected by the inclusion of CO2?
His past tap readings (which were not off gassed) were 7.2 this has risen to 8 (not off gassed) and has dropped when been left for a while to 7.8?

Yeah but my point is if the OP didn't know to off gas the water all of his readings will be affected by the inclusion of CO2?

No, not necessarily. CO2 in the tap water can vary from hours to days. If he off-gasses the tap water and then tests it, the pH should be close to accurate so it eliminates any possibility of CO2 affecting the test.

His past tap readings (which were not off gassed) were 7.2 this has risen to 8 (not off gassed) and has dropped when been left for a while to 7.8?

The new test with off-gassed tap water should confirm all this. Now, water in an aquarium with fish naturally tends to become acidic due to the organics. The GH/KH factor in. Then there is the diurnal issue of pH changing over every 24 hours in an aquarium, and we do not know when in the day these tests were carried out, so that could easily explain a change of 0.2 or even 0.4 in pH from a test in the early morning to a test in the late afternoon.

No, not necessarily. CO2 in the tap water can vary from hours to days. If he off-gasses the tap water and then tests it, the pH should be close to accurate so it eliminates any possibility of CO2 affecting the test.
The new test with off-gassed tap water should confirm all this. Now, water in an aquarium with fish naturally tends to become acidic due to the organics. The GH/KH factor in. Then there is the diurnal issue of pH changing over every 24 hours in an aquarium, and we do not know when in the day these tests were carried out, so that could easily explain a change of 0.2 or even 0.4 in pH from a test in the early morning to a test in the late afternoon.

Not entirely convinced, I'll have to have a look into it a bit more.

Gosh I'm bamboozled !
They had corydora julii in my local maidenhead aquatics, well that's what the label said.
And i did my water tests this afternoon . I'll test again tomorrow.

Just because the label said julii doesn't mean they are julii. It is very common for shop to put a julii label on a tank full of trilineatus. It may not even be the shop's fault - if that's what the wholesaler calls them, that's what the shop calls them.

Just because the label said julii doesn't mean they are julii. It is very common for shop to put a julii label on a tank full of trilineatus. It may not even be the shop's fault - if that's what the wholesaler calls them, that's what the shop calls them.
Oh, ok , is there much difference between the two then?

So today 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10 nitrates, kh 6dkh, gh 196.9ppm
But my ph had now gone up to 8.2
I don't know why. Should i replace some of the water with deionised water?
I appreciate your help x

Your GH is as low as you want it for livebearers so do not add deionised, reverse osmosis (R/O), distilled or rain water because it will lower the GH and the livebearers won't do as well. Deionised water might exchange salt (sodium chloride) for calcium in the water, eg: you reduce the calcium but increase the sodium. Calcium is better for fish.

If you want Corydoras julii, they should be ok in the high pH as long as they are captive bred, and they usually are.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back