pH after Water changes

Gourami_2417

Reaction score
I have mollies and I read that they like their water pH level at about 7.5. I'm using crushed coral and it seems to be working but every time I do a water change I use tap water, which is about 6.5. This means that my pH goes down to about 6.8 every time I do a water change. Is there a way I could keep it at 7.5?

make the water up a day or two before and add some crushed coral to the new water. the pH will come up and then you can use it for water changes

You could put the water you plan on adding to the tank into buckets first. Then, add whatever you need to buffer the water up to the desired pH. That way, your replacement water is already at the ideal pH before you put it into the tank. Not sure how fast crushed coral takes to raise pH, but if you're storing water for more than a day or two, make sure to bubble air through it with an air stone for an hour or two to add back oxygen into the water

Tap water is artificially buffered to make sure it’s still within the “acceptable range” when it reaches your house. Leave some to stand for a day and you’ll see it’s true pH.

You could put the water you plan on adding to the tank into buckets first. Then, add whatever you need to buffer the water up to the desired pH. That way, your replacement water is already at the ideal pH before you put it into the tank. Not sure how fast crushed coral takes to raise pH, but if you're storing water for more than a day or two, make sure to bubble air through it with an air stone for an hour or two to add back oxygen into the water
Crushed coral can take a few days to a month to start working.

If I'm leaving the water for a day or two, should I use a heater to heat the water again before putting it in my tank?

Well, it is the GH that is crucial to mollies, and the pH can only be relative to that. What are your GH, KH and pH of the tap water? Remember to let a glass sit for 24 hours before testing pH.

Most reactions

trending

Back