🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

The species Macrognathus siamensis is not in SF, but another species M. zebrinus in the genus is, and I suspect diet would be similar:

In nature, it preys on small fish and aquatic invertebrates but aquarium specimens readily accept dead alternatives. Prawn, cockle, mussel, earthworms and bloodworms can all be offered. Dried foods are rarely accepted. Like others in the genus, it’s quite a shy fish and you may have to add food after lights out for a while until it becomes accustomed to its surroundings.​

A caution though, on bloodworms--these are not especially wholesome or nutritious so I would wean any fish off these ASAP. Back in the 1980's one of my prime frozen foods was squid, not sure if this is still available (in packages as fish food, similar to brine shrimp, bloodworms, etc). Also used frozen plankton.
Okay, I'm not sure if I want to feed it earthworms or squid... I'll happily do brine shrimp if I can find somewhere to buy them. I can also try frozen plankton, if I can find any

The species Macrognathus siamensis is not in SF, but another species M. zebrinus in the genus is, and I suspect diet would be similar:

In nature, it preys on small fish and aquatic invertebrates but aquarium specimens readily accept dead alternatives. Prawn, cockle, mussel, earthworms and bloodworms can all be offered. Dried foods are rarely accepted. Like others in the genus, it’s quite a shy fish and you may have to add food after lights out for a while until it becomes accustomed to its surroundings.​

A caution though, on bloodworms--these are not especially wholesome or nutritious so I would wean any fish off these ASAP. Back in the 1980's one of my prime frozen foods was squid, not sure if this is still available (in packages as fish food, similar to brine shrimp, bloodworms, etc). Also used frozen plankton.
It is still available:

When I fed frozen food to my clown fish, I thawed one of the larger cubes in a glass cup and then fed the fish by grabbing a bunch of shrimp with aquascaping tweezers. Easy and super nutritious food.

I found some frozen options, do any of these seem good?

Attachments

• 20221010_233453.jpg
    20221010_233453.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20221010_233438.jpg
    20221010_233438.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 22
  • 20221010_233426.jpg
    20221010_233426.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 27
I found some frozen options, do any of these seem good?

Soe of these are OK. Do not feed beef heart--there was a day long ago when this was a discus staple, and I see two or three beef heart foods here for discus--not good. Animal matter generally should always be avoided. Just so this is clear, beef heart is obviously from a cow, this is what we mean by animal meats; compared to shrimp, squid, whole fish, etc which are fish or crustacean based. Worms are fine but very sparingly. Insects and insect larvae is probably the #1 food for fish (carnivores and omnivores).

The squid by the way is not whole squid so no issues there.

Soe of these are OK. Do not feed beef heart--there was a day long ago when this was a discus staple, and I see two or three beef heart foods here for discus--not good. Animal matter generally should always be avoided. Just so this is clear, beef heart is obviously from a cow, this is what we mean by animal meats; compared to shrimp, squid, whole fish, etc which are fish or crustacean based. Worms are fine but very sparingly. Insects and insect larvae is probably the #1 food for fish (carnivores and omnivores).

The squid by the way is not whole squid so no issues there.
So which ones would they be? Do I have to feed him live food or can I stick to frozen food? I've got a whole 'packet' of frozen bloodworms so I definitely have to feed him them. Maybe frozen brine shrimp too? Would any others be good from that list? Also how often should I feed him these foods, and should I alternate them? Example: brine shrimp one day, 3 days later, bloodworms, 3 days later, something else etc. If I feed him brine shrimp, will he get a taste for shrimp and start attacking my pet shrimp? They are 2 inch Amano shrimp and hes never gone for them before.

So which ones would they be? Do I have to feed him live food or can I stick to frozen food? I've got a whole 'packet' of frozen bloodworms so I definitely have to feed him them. Maybe frozen brine shrimp too? Would any others be good from that list? Also how often should I feed him these foods, and should I alternate them? Example: brine shrimp one day, 3 days later, bloodworms, 3 days later, something else etc. If I feed him brine shrimp, will he get a taste for shrimp and start attacking my pet shrimp? They are 2 inch Amano shrimp and hes never gone for them before.

I have not kept this particular fish, so these are my general observations which apply to all fish. Don't feed the same food every day if you can avoid it. I have always tried to have three, maybe four different foods that I alternate. Bloodworms and similar should be once a week.

Live food is fine, provided you can get a variety that provides complete nutrition. Just being live doesn't mean it is better, it depends what it is. Frozen has the benefit of appealing to fish because it is the closest to live, but not all frozen food is particularly nutritious either. With a fish like this one that likely won't consider dry foods as "food," you might have to be creative.

What is the tank size, and other tank inhabitants, with this fish?

Just skimmed over the thread, may have missed this info

What is the tank size, and other tank inhabitants, with this fish?

Just skimmed over the thread, may have missed this info
He did live in a 200l, I rehomed him with the 200l and havent managed to set it up yet. Hes currently living in a 70l, wont be for too much longer though.
He lives with:
6 neon tetras
3 red phantom tetras
3 rosy barbs
1 platy
5 guppies
panda garra
2 shrimp
6 snails
I realise these rather a lot of fish living in one tank, I'm upgrading soon

You can grow your own brine shrimp - I've never succeeded in growing them from eggs but other members do this for their fish.

Do you have fishmonger near you? There's one of this dying breed in our town and he sells squid (you could cut it up into meal sized portions and freeze it) along with a freezer full of various types of shellfish. Or a Morrisons which still has a fish counter?

You can grow your own brine shrimp - I've never succeeded in growing them from eggs but other members do this for their fish.

Do you have fishmonger near you? There's one of this dying breed in our town and he sells squid (you could cut it up into meal sized portions and freeze it) along with a freezer full of various types of shellfish. Or a Morrisons which still has a fish counter?
No, I dont think I do. Also I really dont want to feed him squid.
What if the fish dont eat the brine shrimp and they just keep breeding in my tank?
Also apparently they dont live in salt water which is where squid lives? I'm not sure.
I have bloodworms already, I can try to get some brine shrimp too. What about daphnia?

Even Amazon sells brine shrimp hatcheries
https://www.amazon.co.uk/brine-shrimp-hatchery/s?k=brine+shrimp+hatchery&tag=

I have never heard of them breeding in freshwater tanks as they are grown in salty water - maybe not full strength sea water but certainly brackish.

How do you feel about feeding it shellfish? Those can be bought frozen for human consumption and pieces cut off to feed to the eel.

A lot of fish shops sell bags of live food, mainly daphnia and bloodworm, though the quality can be suspect. I've always used frozen live food as it's safer. Maidenhead Aquatics branches usually have a freezer full of various types.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Even Amazon sells brine shrimp hatcheries
https://www.amazon.co.uk/brine-shrimp-hatchery/s?k=brine+shrimp+hatchery&tag=

I have never heard of them breeding in freshwater tanks as they are grown in salty water - maybe not full strength sea water but certainly brackish.

How do you feel about feeding it shellfish? Those can be bought frozen for human consumption and pieces cut off to feed to the eel.

A lot of fish shops sell bags of live food, mainly daphnia and bloodworm, though the quality can be suspect. I've always used frozen live food as it's safer. Maidenhead Aquatics branches usually have a freezer full of various types.
I went to Maidenhead Aquatics on the weekend, I should've got some more frozen food. I might get one of those brine shrimp hatcheries.
Do I still have to clean their water?
What do I feed them and how do I care for them?
How often should I feed them to my fish without overpopulating the hatchery?
I think I might go to a pet shop today and get some daphnia and possibly frozen brine shrimp. Is it necessary to feed him live food?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm afraid I have never managed to hatch brine shrimp eggs so I know nothing about their care :( But other members successfully grow them so they'll be able to help.

I don' know what the hatchery you bought is like, but the ones I used are emptied and cleaned after every hatchout - every 48 hours.

I don' know what the hatchery you bought is like, but the ones I used are emptied and cleaned after every hatchout - every 48 hours.
I havent bought one yet but I will if they seem good. What do you feed yours?

Most reactions

Back