Peaceful Centerpiece Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yeah I was told they get up to about 5 inches, but they will be going into my 55 gallon tank, so I was told that it should be fine. I was originally thinking of getting 3 but I will probably stick with 2 and see how it goes. Aqadvisor.com, is what I used to check my stocking levels and it said I was at 99% stocked with my fish plan (going with the 3 gourmais), but filtration was at 99% so I would definitely need to get another filter for that tank before they get to full size. That wouldn't be a problem as I was planning to get another one anyway for that tank in the new year.

The stock plan given to AqAdvisor.com was:

16 zebra danio
12 cherry barbs
3 pearl gourmais
5 schwartz cory cats
4 MTS

99% stocked and 99% filtration - no conflicts were listed.

But I like I said I will most likely go with only 3 Pear Gourmais, and I will be dropping the snails down to 3 so that should help the filtration out a bit until I can get the 2nd filter on in January, then probably Feb or March before it is actually cycled and helping. I just know I will have to do larger water changes until that happens but I don't mind that.

How tiny is the filter that you have on your tank Rebrn? They don't need a very big one to have everything be fine for a reasonable stocking level. If the Aquadvisor is basing it on things like turnover rates, take that advice with a giant grain of salt. Much of the extreme advice that we see saying that high water turnover rates are needed, is simply unfounded in reality. If you have an adequate volume of biological media for your fish, the flow rate almost doesn't matter for the fish. A higher flow rate will keep particulate from settling on the bottom quite as much and thus will mean slightly less work when using the gravel vac though. For that the high flow rates are useful.

It is a Marineland Emperor 400 filter. So it is adequate for a 55 gallon I believe. It was used, and active, when I got it (in drobbyb's tank), but put it into a cycle because I took media from it to speed up the other 2 tanks. I was thinking that it would probably be sufficient for my planned stock, but just thought I would watch it and see especially as they grow. But I thought it was kind of strange that I had a 99% full stock but not enough filtration (according to aqua adviser). So do you think I would be OK with that stock plan and a Emperor 400 Filter?

Id say it it will be plenty for the fish you have. I have a emperor 400 and a pengiun 350 on my 75 with an ocar who probaly produces more waste in one day then all you fih will in a week and my water reading are perfect. With bigger tanks though I prefer having a filter on both sides or somethig like a powerhead on the side withh no filter to get rid of food and poo that's on the side with no filter. If you have a filter on each side you don't have to worry about that

everything sounds perfect, might as well start getting it into action.

Thanks, I the filter is only on one side, but I have a power head on the other side so that should be fine. Thanks for letting me know the stocking is good. I was a little concerned about the size of the chosen Pearl Gourmai (5 inches) I was thinking that they may still try to eat the smaller fish, but everything about them says they are peaceful and won't eat other fish. So I guess now it is just a matter of waiting out the last few days (3 now) to complete the fish less cycle qualifying week.

I’m going through old threads, any pictures?

You're probably not going to get a response considering this is from 10 years ago, you might tho :)

Reactions: AJE

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back