Peaceful Centerpiece Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rebrn

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Well I put some cherry barbs into my finally cycled 12 gallon tank, and they are doing fine, however, I LOVE them, and I think I want a few more which would mean moving them and the new ones over to my 55 gallon. My origional thought for centerpiece fish in the 55 were angel fish, I love the look of angel fish, but as they are semi aggressive it really limits my options. Here is what I am planning so far for the 55

Large school of Zebra Danio (no changing this I love these fish) probably around 16
Around 8 Cherry Barbs (from the 12 gallon, will put harlequin Rasboras in the 12 gallon)
4 golden mystery snails
5 cory cats

What can I use as a peaceful centerpiece fish? I have been told that if the angel fish grow up with the other fish it will be fine, but I really don't want to chance it.

Thanks

FYI - used Aqua Advisor it says with the above I am at 76% stocked, so that would give my 24% for the center peice fish

Aqua Advisor (link: http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php) is a site where you can put in your tank size filter type and the type of fish you have (or want) and it gives you a general idea regarding stocking percentage, filtration capacity, and fish compatability. I think someone on TFF created the site, but not sure on that one.

Also thanks for the idea, I like the look of Bala sharks but I thought they were aggressive. I guess the "shark" in the name made me think that :lol:

Aqua Advisor (link: http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php) is a site where you can put in your tank size filter type and the type of fish you have (or want) and it gives you a general idea regarding stocking percentage, filtration capacity, and fish compatability. I think someone on TFF created the site, but not sure on that one.

Also thanks for the idea, I like the look of Bala sharks but I thought they were aggressive. I guess the "shark" in the name made me think that :lol:
I use to have bala sharks in my 55 that was before I came here and actually learned something. Mine were not agressive at all and were in a community but there a schooling fish they can get 14 to 16 inchs and love to swim so they need a bigger tank then a 55. They also are pretty flighty meaning they scar easily

NO balas

get 3-4 more cories

add mor to your barbs if you want. maxes at 14

this is a guess on my part, but maybe a semi-large guorami or catfish??

Centerpiece...

Keyhole cichlids? A pair would fit very nicely. Or some of the other 'larger' small peaceful cichlids.

But yes aside from that...larger gouramis such as pearl, moonlight, gold etc would be a good suggestion aswell.

Edit: to add to the bala shark thing, apart from anything else they aren't even centerpiece fish, they're just EXTREMELY large dithers.

Thanks guys. I read up on the Bala Shark and saw where they can get rather large, so they are out. I thought of gourmis, still looking at them, I like the look of the chocolate one. I read up about chilids, but can't seem to find any peaceful ones, all the ones I have looked at land in the semi-aggressive category (same as the Angels) so not sure which ones are peaceful.

Thanks guys. I read up on the Bala Shark and saw where they can get rather large, so they are out. I thought of gourmis, still looking at them, I like the look of the chocolate one. I read up about chilids, but can't seem to find any peaceful ones, all the ones I have looked at land in the semi-aggressive category (same as the Angels) so not sure which ones are peaceful.
You also have to remember it depends on the individual fish just because there known to be semi agressive or peaceful doesn't mean that fish will be size of tank surrounds how it was raised etc also play a role. Howver yhere still are some fish I wouldn't try. You might wanna ask were ever you get it what the return policy is maybe you could try a fish for a few days and if its not working out you could take him back. I personally had a angle in my communite tank and never had any problems.

Thanks erk. I was told that if I get the angels small and raise them with the other fish they would be fine, but I think I found the one I want, Blue gormai. They look really cool, I will just have to check around and see if I can find any locally, otherwise I will have to order online.

really ... good to know. All 3 of those were listed as peaceful, while the angels were listed as semi-aggressive. I guess I have some re-thinking to do.

Edit: oops those were listed as semi-aggressive. Looks like it is going to be the Pearl Gourmai.

The blue gourami is not especially aggressive, in my experience, but they are always ready to eat small fish like neons.

Thank OM. As I plan to have zebra danio and cherry barbs in there I would rather not chance it. Anyway after looking at some photos, I have become partial to the pearl gourami. I think its white hue will look nice against the colourful red of the cherries. Also, the zebra danio school I plan to have will incorproate some of the glofish, so again, the more solid white hue of the pearl will stand out well against the colours of the smaller fish. At least I think it will, but nice to know I can leave the blue gourami on the list in case I can't find any Pearl Gouramis.

Isn't the pearl the one that gets about 8 inches long? I am no gourami expert but that is my recollection. I really enjoy my sparkling gouramis at only 2 inches maximum but have not kept pearls since I was much younger.
A quick look up on fishbase tells me they only get to 5 inches. Still quite large for an average community tank in my home but within bearable limits if the tank is big enough.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back