Parrot fish breeding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ask them to say "hello" and whichever has the male voice!

sorry but i thought that was funny but I think this might help (found it on another web site:)

Sexing
As with some other species, it's difficult to tell the difference between males and the females unless they are about to spawn. Because there is so many variations in the types of parrots, it's almost impossible to distinguish the sexes by finnage or coloration.

When I first got my parrots, I thought I could sex them by the the anal and dorsal fins being pointed on males and rounded on the females. I have found this to be untrue. I assumed that our largest fish was a male, since the female he had paired up with had rounded fins and he had pointed. However, the male has since left this female and paired up with a new one and they have dug a hole and are guarding it. The female he's with now has pointed, not rounded anal and dorsal fins. Rounded fins can indicate a female, but pointed fins do not necessarily indicate male. Confusing huh? I thought so.

One way to identify the male is when he pairs up and is ready to breed, he will get pinkish coloration on his throat and behind his gill cover. This the best indication of male I have found thus far. In general, males are also larger than females. Identifying the females is almost impossible until her egg tube is showing during pre-spawn.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back