Panther Gobie (neovespicula Depressifrons)

Here are some new pics:

PICT0048.jpg

PICT0038.jpg

this is the new one

PICT0039.jpg

PICT0050-1.jpg

As you can see there is a huge difference in size. But they get along fine, just ignoring each other. I feed the small one in the bowl pictured. The aquarium is too large for it to catch guppies. So I place one in the container with it. It waste no time. :hyper: My wife almost made the mistake of touching it wile it was it the container! :crazy: Maybe I should have let her :shifty:

:lol: Wow great looking fish. Very interesting. Glad to here their getting along just dandy. :good:

hello~ im setting up a new tank and im debating about making it brackish because id like to have a few wasp fish. any advice would be greatly appreciated :D iv got a 5 gallon tank which presently is in the very beginning stages of cycling. its got white sand about an inch deep, cured bogwood, and java moss presently, .... and java lance fern on the way. the plan so far is to cycle it for 6 - 8 weeks with wild guppies (which will provide natural food for the wasp(s)) and then slowly add a wasp fish every week or 2 (being considerate of the strain on the biofilter) until iv got three. never done brackish water before and iv only goten into this hobby within the past few months when i got a betta. i grew up always catching tadpoles and what not and raising them as a kid so im not entirely new to this in certain respects but an actual aquarium is new to me so any advice will be welcome.

Go Brackish!! :good: I think 5 gallons will be good for a start, if the waspfish are the size of my small one. Plan on getting a larger tank soon after tho. Ditch the white sand! In my first post you can se I had a lighter colour substrate, the wasp fish wasnt out very much, and had a hard time blending in with it. Theese fish like to ambush prey, and white substrate will not help them. Just do your research on how to set up a brackish tank. Good job on the patient cycle :good: They better the water and tank, they moer likely the waspfish will live.

Thanks Randell! :D

Posting an update :D

All is well in waspfish world! The small waspfish is growing really fast and is up to an inch long now. The larger one is still growing also. I can see this fish growing past 4 inches!

i want one!! I've never seen these in the UK

Me neither, they look very cool.Keep us updated.
O, and I demand new pics!

i want one!! I've never seen these in the UK

hxxp://tropicalfishfinder.co.uk/stores_productsinfo.asp?store=6&prod=1250 just in case direct links aren't allowed.

cheers only £5.50 each but they are probably too small for my brackish tank as my morays and toadfish have very big mouths!!! pity

i have seen these in my lfs before!i wanted one but i kinda knew it would have been a fish that would outgrow my tank.that store is not the most....reliable.they looked interesting but looked too lazy for my likings. :rolleyes:

These fish arent lazy!! I think if they are kept in fresh water they get a little mellow, trying to find some good BW! Mine swim all the time, and they even come to the glass when they see me hoping for a guppy to drop in :rolleyes:

How big were the ones at your LFS that you thought they would get to big? Or how small is your tank? These fish are always very small when you see them at the store.

well they were kept in FW at the store but they were about 3-3 1/2 inches.it just looked like it was a tank buster.

wow 3-3.5 inches? I understand about the tank buster looks. They do seem like they will be huge fish. All the science books say this fish only get 4 inshes, but I have heard rumors of 12!! :hyper: I will have to upgrade my tak if this turns out to be true. At 3-4 inches they should be kept in high to full SW

I will have to wait and find out!!

yeah.i felt bad because i knew they were atleast brackish and they were in FW.

I seen something new happen today. Saturday I drooped in 3 dozen guppies or so and the fish feasted on them. There is more than just waspfish in this tank, I also have 2 GSPs. The guppies usually last 3-4 days. Not this time, they were gone by Sunday!

Anyways, this morning the larger waspfish was regurgitating the guppies, it seems ok now, but for 1-2 min it was spewing out fish pieces. :sick: it finally ate to many.This fish will fill its gut to the point that it looks like it will explode. It becomes a fat ball that waddles as it swims.

I will have to ration the amount of feeders put in from now on, because of its gorging habits.

Will be posting new pics soon, just been lazy.

These guys are so cool. :cool: I recently bought another 2 myself, bringing the grand total to 3. I noticed a huge change in the behavior of my original specimen. He used to hide behind the filter during the day, and would only come out at night. Now that there are 2 more, he stays out during the day, and swims in open water with them. They generally stay very near to each other now, and are no longer exhibiting nocturnal behavior.

Most reactions

Back