Paludarium for leopard Frog?

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
2x Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hello, I really want to keep a leopard frog, and I'm wondering if I can keep them in a paludarium.
What are some things i should watch out for?
water depth?
recommended substrate?
terrarium plants that are safe?

My science teacher kept one when I was in middle school a hundred years ago. I don't really remember how she did it. But I've spend a lot of time watching leopard frogs and catching them just for fun with the Badgerling. They are pretty adaptable and fun to be around. They like deep water to hide out in when they get scared. They are mighty jumpers and surprisingly hard to catch when frightened, so beware!

we have them in the yard as well... so they must spend a fair amount of time out of the water??? I assume they are catching bugs

we have them in the yard as well... so they must spend a fair amount of time out of the water??? I assume they are catching bugs
They usually hang out on land, and yeah, that seems to be where they do most of their hunting. From what I've seen, they mostly use the water to cool off and take refuge from predators.

They usually hang out on land, and yeah, that seems to be where they do most of their hunting. From what I've seen, they mostly use the water to cool off and take refuge from predators.

thanks for the replies! will a water pool of around 3-4 inches deep work? there will be driftwoods as a bridge to the surface.
I'm also wondering if I can get a day-night timer on an old desk lamp to warm them? It is one of those yellow bulbs and warms quite well. Just wondering if it's too strong for a little frog

I’ve kept my fair share of leopard frogs. Since they are strong jumpers, they should be kept in the largest enclosure possible. Although they are at home in or around water, they aren’t really aquatic, so the enclosure should be mostly land. A four inch deep water dish sounds ideal. Change the water frequently.
My preferred substrate would be a mix of topsoil and coconut fiber, with a layer of leaf litter on top. I like plants that are easy to grow- pothos, wandering Jew, philodendron, spider plants, etc. An LED plant light would suffice. Unless you keep your house unreasonably cold, supplemental heating is unnecessary, and possibly detrimental to this species.
Food can be any small, live invertebrate that will fit in its mouth.

I’ve kept my fair share of leopard frogs. Since they are strong jumpers, they should be kept in the largest enclosure possible. Although they are at home in or around water, they aren’t really aquatic, so the enclosure should be mostly land. A four inch deep water dish sounds ideal. Change the water frequently.
My preferred substrate would be a mix of topsoil and coconut fiber, with a layer of leaf litter on top. I like plants that are easy to grow- pothos, wandering Jew, philodendron, spider plants, etc. An LED plant light would suffice. Unless you keep your house unreasonably cold, supplemental heating is unnecessary, and possibly detrimental to this species.
I'm planning on making a tall greenhouse like section to cover the top, and a large stick or rock going upwards
Is it neccesary to coat the bugs in the calcium powder?
I've never kept any reptiles or amphibians before, thanks for the tips.

Last edited:
just realized that your profile is a leopard frog!

I'm planning on making a tall greenhouse like section to cover the top, and a large stick or rock going upwards
Is it neccesary to coat the bugs in the calcium powder?
I've never kept any reptiles before, thanks for the tips.
Yes, insects should be dusted. I use Repashy calcium plus. Incidentally, frogs are not reptiles. They are amphibians. Gotta learn the lingo if you're gonna do this.

Yes, insects should be dusted. I use Repashy calcium plus. Incidentally, frogs are not reptiles. They are amphibians. Gotta learn the lingo if you're gonna do this.
okay, sounds good! also edited the other post...
There's this little lizard that hangs out in our school garden that I take care of, it's really fun seeing it there every time i go

okay, sounds good! also edited the other post...
There's this little lizard that hangs out in our school garden that I take care of, it's really fun seeing it there every time i go
We have sagebrush lizards around here. Someday, maybe after I cut my teeth on firebelly toads, I'm going to catch a couple.

Did I tell you my firebellies should be here in about an hour? I'm excited...

We have sagebrush lizards around here. Someday, maybe after I cut my teeth on firebelly toads, I'm going to catch a couple.

Did I tell you my firebellies should be here in about an hour? I'm excited...
yes, those are the types that come visit our gardens.
woah, I'm so glad to hear that! Please send aphoto of them when you have time!
how would you reccomend catching them?

yes, those are the types that come visit our gardens.
woah, I'm so glad to hear that! Please send aphoto of them when you have time!
how would you reccomend catching them?
Catching leopard frogs? I suggest wearing clothes you don't mind getting muddy. ha ha Just grab them with your hands. They aren't poisonous. If they are unreasonably frisky, we've found that a stoutish butterfly net can be a huge help.

Catching leopard frogs? I suggest wearing clothes you don't mind getting muddy. ha ha Just grab them with your hands. They aren't poisonous. If they are unreasonably frisky, we've found that a stoutish butterfly net can be a huge help.
oh, i mean the lizards lol,frogs seem to be pretty relaxed and will just hop on your hand deliberately...

Lizards are hard to catch. Best bet is to find a place where a bunch of them are hanging out, sit down there and hold still. If you're very still, pretty soon they'll start to come out of hiding, and if you're quick you can grab one.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back