Orange Chromide Disease

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dominus_XVIII

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been quite a since I last been on this forum. Posting here because I can't seem to find answer anywhere else (other forums). *HEAD UP, THIS MIGHT BE A LENGTHY READ*

Before you guys get into the main report of this post, here's the parameters of my tank:

Tank size - 46 gallon bowfront (mature setup, Been running for 5 years. Kept numerous species of fish in here: from angels, to German blue rams, wild species bettas, fancy guppies, tetras, and just up until last week used it as a African cichlid fry growout tank). Been treating my water with Seachem Prime.

Temperature - 27 degrees celsius

PH - 7.8 (hard out of the tap here)

Ammonia, Nitrate, & Nitrite - 0 (up until I added the chromides to the tank).

Current stock - 2 orange chromides (were 3 to start with)

Report:

2 days ago I picked up a trio of orange chromide cichlids from a fellow hobbyist. The fish seemed fine visually and were quite active. (He was keeping them in freshwater by the way)

Upon bringing them home and slowly drip acclimating them to my tank (which was is also freshwater, as I was planning to slowly adjust it to low end brackish for this species), I noticed one of them chromides had a small red speck in it's snout. Didn't think anything of it at first, but things turned for the worse over night.
I woke up to one dead chromide and the other two with what seemed to be red streaks outlining the 2 chromide's bodies and where the pectoral fins join the body. I didn't know what was wrong with the chromides, because in all my years of keeping and caring for fish I've never witnessed or experienced something like this until now.

I tried finding any or all information online about what my chromides could have been dealing with, and eventually came across a similar case where an individual was dealing with the same or similar thing with their angelfish. They began treating with Myxazin and began see some results and improvements.
Order some online, but for now I'm treating with the only meds I have on hand: API T.C. tetracycline which states it helps with fin rot, fungus infections, and hemorrhagic septicemia.

I posted some pictures below so you can see what the chromides are dealing with. Any and all input and help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20170110_180942.jpg
    20170110_180942.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 188
  • 20170110_181050.jpg
    20170110_181050.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 152
  • 20170110_181028.jpg
    20170110_181028.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 191
  • 20170110_181003.jpg
    20170110_181003.jpg