Omg Cory Eggs!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Great news :good:
I am waiting on another batch to hatch too today or tomorrow.

Little guys getting bigger. Don't have to search so hard for them now. May try and get some photos soon.

A few babies have died but I think I've got three left. They're 11 days old now so I've beaten my previous record of 10 days and I'm very happy. They're getting bigger now.

I have taken some photos but I haven't got them off my camera yet lol!

Took some more photos tonight. Managed to get some half decent ones.

I've got at least four of the little things, I think one of them was one of the second lot of eggs though, though I'm not sure how much younger the smallest one is.

After this batch are done with their tank, I'm going to look into some aquarium safe white paint to paint the bottom of the tank and silicone with to make them easier to find. They tend to hide next to the black silicone so I can't see them!

Anyways, here we go. 13.5 day old baby Johnsons!

BabyJohnsons13daysold1-Copy.jpg

BabyJohnsons13daysold2-Copy.jpg

th_BabyJohnsonsSetup.jpg

th_BabyJohnsons18daysold5-Copy.jpg

One of my fry, 18 days old now.

Just done a test of my water. Very pleased to see 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 5ppm nitrate (if you can trust the nitrate test. It also said nitrate in my main tank is ~10ppm, despite the fact I did a 50% water change with 20ppm tap water). I know I shouldn't be pleased as such to see those results as that's what they should be, but my first ever fry died because my sponge filter failed and he ended up sitting in 1ppm of ammonia.

pH in the fry tank is 6.6 whereas the main tank pH is 6.4, maybe less.

I can see features forming on the fry now. Fins and whiskers!

Cories are 20.5 days old now. I am so proud of my little guys, they're gorgeous! They must be the best part of a centimetre in length. They're big enough that I've removed the tights off my teeny tiny internal filter since they're too big to get sucked in now. The flow has greatly increased!

They swim about a lot now too, and not just at the bottom of the tank, they really swim around like proper cories do.

I'm still feeding Hikari First Bites. Is this still good or should I be feeding something else soon?

Photos:
(adding as links because IMG tags don't work as well as they used to)

http://i233.photobuc...sold10-Copy.jpg
http://s233.beta.pho...9-Copy.jpg.html
http://i233.photobuc...ld13-Copy-1.jpg

I especially love the last photo. I'm used to looking down at them from above the tank, but when you look at them from the side you can see the fins and whiskers, plus the three lines forming. Definitely recognisable as cories now!
biggrin.png

I'm hoping when they're big enough I'll be able to find a good home for them. I'm sure my LFS would take them but I'd rather see them go to a loving fishkeeper rather than a business. I dont want them in my main tank as I like breeding cories and I dont want them breeding with their parents.

Nice. Really glad they are growing fine for you.
As for breeding with the parents, if you bought yours all at once they are most likely siblings anyway and if you give the fry away, they could be also bought together and breed between themselves so it really makes no such great difference whether you or someone else will keep them. Corys also won't breed at least until they are about 9 months old roughly.
Feeding powdered food is fine for quite a long time, not until at least they grow a bit and are able to break down a wafer. You can get a different powdered food like tetramin baby which I feed my cory babies with.

A picture of my 2 weeks old today:

dscf2253y.jpg

dscf2244r.jpg

And this one will be 4 weeks old tomorrow:

dscf2262ud.jpg

dscf2259k.jpg

Oh wow, yours are rather quite impressive.

All of my cories but one were bought together, so I suppose it's true that they probably are siblings, and giving them all away to the same person isn't going to help either. Still, I'll decide closer to the time.

Can I ask roughly how big the 4 week old ones are? I know it's a different breed but I'm interested nonetheless. Went to my local MA today and they have some massive cories!

Can I ask roughly how big the 4 week old ones are? I know it's a different breed but I'm interested nonetheless. Went to my local MA today and they have some massive cories!

My LFS sometimes gets a couple huge cories in with their shipments. Must be a genetic thing. :/

My LFS sometimes gets a couple huge cories in with their shipments. Must be a genetic thing.
confused.gif

In my local MA it seems to be certain breeds of cories which are much bigger than others. They have loads of unusual cory breeds that I've never seen anywhere else.

That said though, I was in there today and they had a load of rummy nose tetras. All pretty standard but there were two in there that were huge!

I just measured them and they are about 2.5cm-3cm long. They are actually either bronze corys or a cross between my albino bronze and gold lasers(saw them interbreeding). If yours are not growing as fast, make sure you put plenty of food at least 4 times a day. Remove the old food in the mornings, it will be fluffy or clumped with the sand( I use an air tube to siphon, make sure you don't siphon the corys in :) )

My LFS sometimes gets a couple huge cories in with their shipments. Must be a genetic thing.
confused.gif

In my local MA it seems to be certain breeds of cories which are much bigger than others. They have loads of unusual cory breeds that I've never seen anywhere else.

That said though, I was in there today and they had a load of rummy nose tetras. All pretty standard but there were two in there that were huge!

My LFS has a pretty good selection of cories too; panda, real julliis too, everywhere only has the false julliis. They even had some agassizi and punctatus too.

Found one of the little guys dead last night
bye2.gif

The remaining three seem okay for the moment though.

I am really sorry you've lost another one.
Without trying to be harsh on you I just have a bit of advice after seeing your setup.

1. You need to fully cover the bottom with sand. Bare bottom develops bacteria that kills bottom feeders like cory fry.
2. They can die from starvation. It could be the picture quality but yours look a bit small for their age and their bellies not full. I overfeed mine(visible food around the place at all times which clumps in about 24 hours so it's visible and easy to remove with an air tube. Stir slightly the sand and remove any clumped one. Feed several times a day. The only problem with overfeeding cory fry or any fry is if they are kept in non-cycled tank. In a cycled tank ovefeeding will have no effect on the water quality with a weekly water change. When you remove excess food you need to replace water anyway in small amounts and then once a week a bigger water change with temperature matched/dechlorinated water poured in slowly.
3. I couldn't see on the pictures, but the filter doesn't seem to be rippling the surface of the water. Make sure they are not dying from lack of oxygen.
4. They barely have any cover in the tank and can feel stressed, more plants which also will provide natural food, shady places like driftwood, caves would be better as well. If you have almond leaves, put one too.

Most reactions

Back