Omg Cory Eggs!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

CezzaXV

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I came up to my room tonight to find an egg on the tank glass. On further inspection I discovered four more dotted around the tank. I suspect they're cory eggs. I've googled cory eggs and they look like it. My other fish are cardinal tetra, which I've read are hard to breed in captivity. Guppies, which are livebearers and mine are all male. Single male gourami, male. Apple snails which lay their eggs out of water. The only other thing it could be is pest snail eggs but given that these are single eggs not clumps, I dont think they are.

This is the first time I've seen eggs in my tank. How exciting! What do I do? Want to give these eggs the best possible chance.

Clicky pictures, please tell me they're cory eggs!

Put the eggs in a seperate container using the water right from your main tank and aerate the container to help prevent fungus. I have used a razor blade or even a knife to take the eggs off the glass.

I have never had cory eggs, so I can't give you any advice, but I just wanted to say, LUCKY!!! :shout:

My best luck was when I scraped them off into a regular net, which I then positioned just under the filter outflow so they had fresh water hitting them all the time. When they hatched I put them in a fry tank with a layer of sand on the bottom and a "cave" for them to hide. Good luck!

Awesome! I bet you'll see more eggs in the future if you cories are that happy!

I've read it might be a good idea to leave for a few hours to make sure the male has fertilised them, but tbh they might already have been there hours, I'm not sure. The last time I checked my tank was this morning and I think I would have noticed since I noticed these pretty quickly tonight.

I was quite surprised to see the eggs as I thought they bred when the water got colder, but right now my tank is actually a tiny bit warmer than usual. Then again, there's been two cories I've seen chasing each other around for ages now, so maybe it was them.

Trying not to get too excited as this is the first time I've had eggs but I'm really happy this has happened even if they don't make it!
w00t.gif

Managed to get four of the eggs into my net which is resting on the outflow now. Long story short I had to move my tank to get to one of them, and I think an egg dropped to the substrate. I can't see it anyway. Not being hopeful that these eggs are gonna hatch, but it doesn't hurt to try so here goes nothing.

For the last few months I only had five cories because I lost one, but two weeks ago I was able to get another to get it back up to six. I wonder if that was a factor? Probably not but you never know.

Maybe the new one brought new cory pheromones and a good gene pool, and the group went crazy. :hyper:

I've woken up this morning and three of the eggs have turned white. Does this mean they've gone bad?

just wanted to congratulate you Cezza, I'm very jealous. My bronze pair are forever doing their dance but I've never been lucky enough to find any eggs.

Good luck with them and I'll keep fingers crossed that they are okay. I thought cory eggs were white anyway? :dunno:

Take out the white eggs, the fungus on them will spread. Any that stay the same colour or darken are usually pretty good.

Thanks guys. The one that's left has got darker than it was last night and the bit that's in the middle seems to have gotten bigger so here's hoping!

Fingers crossed for you :)

I am currently waiting for some river Goby eggs to hatch. I started off with 65 8 days ago and am down to around 50 as some were incorrectly fertilised. They take longer than your average egg to hatch though.

Hi CezzaXV :)

Congratulations on your first spawn! To get you started, take a look at this article that one of our members wrote. It has a lot of good, basic information.

Here's a link to another picture that shows what fungused eggs will look like.

This will get you started and probably give you lots more questions to ask. We will be happy to answer them. :D

These are C. trilineatus eggs, no? :unsure:

Most reactions

Back