Ok to put tank in room with lots of outside light?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TamarackTTC

Reaction score
The location I'd like to place my tank is is a large room that gets a lot of natural light from windows? Will this increase my algae or cause any potential problems to my tank?

What is the ideal positioning of a tank when concerned with outside light via windows?

The best place (only concerning light) is usually the darkest corner of your room. Try to avoid direct sun light or keep the exposure minimal.

But, it all depends a little on what you plan fish and plant wise. I have a tank directly at the window with no artificial lighting, which is doing well. Also the plants grow. But this changes with the seasons.

The location I'd like to place my tank is is a large room that gets a lot of natural light from windows? Will this increase my algae or cause any potential problems to my tank?

What is the ideal positioning of a tank when concerned with outside light via windows?

I will repeat some of what others mentioned, just to give a complete answer, because there are issues.

First, direct sun striking the aquarium is always bad, don't do it. Water can heat up--the tank glass like all glass acts as a prism and light and heat are magnified...think of the magnifying glass trick of starting a fire this way. Also, the light is bright and depending upon the fish, could be a serious issue in itself.

Now, to indirect light as in a bright room. This depends upon the tank lighting, live plants, fish load (where the nutrients come from), and any plant additives. To grow the plants without algae problems you need to have the light and nutrients in balance. As soon as something is out of balance with the rest, trouble.

Ambient room light is often overlooked, but I have an example of just how significant this can be. My tanks are all in a dedicate fish room. A few years ago, I had brush algae increases in the largest tanks during summer. It took me a couple years to work out that the additional daylight entering the room during the summer months was longer and brighter than during winter months, and this provided more light during the summer. I now have thick drapes and blinds on the windows (all but one small window which is my ambient light when the tank lights come on and go off), and the algae increase has not returned for four or five summers since. Point is, the additional light was sufficient to throw off the balance and algae was ready to take the advantage.

If your intended room cannot have the light from windows controlled (example, not everyone wants their living room windows heavily covered all day), it would be best to find another room for the aquarium.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back