"novus Aevum"

SexyFishKeeper

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
This is my first true "scape" and would love to take you through my journey of setting it up and maintaining the tank.

So the scene...

I've had the 12"x10"x8" Optiwhite from AquaEssentials since Christmas and have been researching since then of how to scape it. This is my first true "scape" with my 180ltr being mainly a test and learn tank.

I've been looking into all of the tanks on here and have taken the elements I like to hopefully create my own style as I wouldn't like to copy someone.

It took me a while to arrange the rocks (as normal I guess) which is difficult in such a small tank.
I've chosen the plants for their small size to help with the sense of scale within the tank.

As always comments are welcome.

Details will be...

Tank: Opti White 12"x10"x8"
Filtration: Fluval 105
Lighting: 11w Dennerle Overtank Nano Light
Substrate: Aquasoil Amazonia powder
Ferts: Tropical Plant Nutrition Plus (TPN+) 1ml per day
CO2: Easycarbo 1ml per day
Hardscape: Mini Landscape rocks
Flora: Hemianthus micranthemoides, Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba', Eleocharis parvula, Ludwigia arcuata
Fauna: Crystal Red Shrimp once the tank has settled.

Hardscape...

n567487362_2378763_7444709.jpg

n567487362_2378764_2350846.jpg

n567487362_2378765_3309744.jpg

Day 1:

Right so planting time...

I had a trip to TGM as thought it's always best to pick your plants in person. Plus was nice to pop in for a cuppa.

As stated earlier in the thread, I picked up Hemanthus callitrichoides "Cuba", Eleocharis Parvula, Hemianthus micranthemoides and Ludwigia Arcuata.

Hopefully you'll like the planting, it was a nightmare to get the glassware connected and I'm not a fan of planting HC but it seems to be looking good. I'm leaving everything for a while to settle in before pruning etc.

Anyway, photos...

Final rock placement...
20090329005.jpg

After planting the HC...
20090329006.jpg

After planting the hairgrass...
20090329012.jpg

All done...
20090329013.jpg

20090329014.jpg

20090329015.jpg

Day 2:

The lilly output is mixing up a bit of the AquaSoil in the front right corner so have turned down the output a bit. I'm pleased that everything has stayed put in the soil.

Lights are on for the first time (for a proper photo period) and will be keeping it at 6 hours per day now.

I decided to dose 1ml of Easy Carbo and TPN+ per day after looking at Dan's results with Little Mountain and his Dennerle Nano.

I've also carried out a 50% water change and true to form AS has off the scale Ammonia. I think I'll do a daily water change for a few weeks.

I might have to get a heater when I get my shrimps as the water is staying rather cold.

So, going quite well.

how big is the tank (liters) i have a really small tank which i would love to do something like this with

oh

well i have i think a 10l which i got for free from the tip, do you think it would be possible to do something like this in 10ls?

wicked

what kind of filtration would you need if you were only to have a few shrimps. surely any regular filter would take up half the tank, as well as a diffuser and a heater

The 14 ltr 12x10x8" tanks are still available from AE there just sold out at the moment. I think the 12x8x8" 12ltr was a one off at christmas.

I've not updated this for a while, I had originally put CRS in there but they've all died as of this week so replaced them with some cherry shrimp.
Today, I added a Dennerle Nano CO2 kit as got increasing scared with using EC as when I didn't have any shrimp in, I increased the EC and everything grew super quick!

I've been getting used to trimming the plants, a few photos since the original post.

20090420020.jpg

20090525004.jpg

20090527001.jpg

Very lovely tank. I like the scape a lot. How are things going with it?

llj

Most reactions

Back