"noob" On Plants- Any' You Flowers Got Any Advice?

StaniFish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Never had live plants in either of my tanks before- it sounds pretty complicated on here. I just wanted to know basic things i would have to do to my plants to keep them alive. What would i need in my tank? Do i need to cycle my tank again or add some kind of chemical? I won't be buying anything by the posh latin names as used on here as i will just buy whatever my local fish shop has. Are there any popular plants you could recommend that i could look out for and any tips on them you may have would be good.

Also, can i add them at the same time as fish when i buy them?

all plants need is light in a tank. there are quite a few that will survive without anything special - java moss, java fern, anubias.

But if you want your plants to grow fast and you want harder to grow species, you need to start having more light, c02 and ferts.

You can add plants into the tank before you cycle, when you're cycling, after you have cycled - it doesnt matter. :good:

Also, make sure you know what the plant is before you buy it. Alot of LFS try to fob off non-aquatic plants which will just rot and pollute your water.

does C02 mean installing an aerator as i already have one of these?

CO2 means installing a CO2 kit, either a pressurized bottle, or a yeast based kit. It's basically the opposite from the aerator, if you had a CO2 kit you would have to get rid of the aerator because the aerator would basically gass off the CO2 from the water.

But don't worry about that if you go for easy plants :).

As mentioned (as long as your tank has OK lighting for plants, usually in the form of a florescent tube), the most important thing is that you know which plants you are buying, just remember a few simple ones (like those mentioned) from pictures on the internet :good: .

I would disagree with the above statement. In a non CO2 tank it is even more important to have a relatively undisturbed surface as you are reliant on the existing CO2 staying there as you are not injecting any.

When you inject (more in the case of a pressurised setup) You can have the water surface moving as much as you like and just inject more CO2 to compensate.

Therefore just make sure that you have 1Watt of light per gallon of water and you can then grow Anubias, Cryptocorynes, Egeria, Microsorum (Ferns) Mosses and many many more.

Plants are nothing to be afraid of. The hard part for many is balancing the right plants to the right light and making sure that there are enough nutrients to complete the loop.

also with a non CO2 tank water changes should be less frequent (No EI 50%/week here) as you are trying to keep the nutrients the fish are producing through their waste and with the leftover foods etc.

To put fish in a uncycled planted tank the plants need to be up and running first otherwise they may take time to start taking up the nutrient provided by this waste.

Andy

I would disagree with the above statement. In a non CO2 tank it is even more important to have a relatively undisturbed surface as you are reliant on the existing CO2 staying there as you are not injecting any.

When you inject (more in the case of a pressurised setup) You can have the water surface moving as much as you like and just inject more CO2 to compensate.
Not totally disagreeing then ;). It costs money and sometimes hassle to get those canisters filled, I'd personally rather not have it gassing off.

With the simple plants and low lighting, worrying about CO2 for the plants instead of oxygen for the fish isn't always the wisest thing to do...especially for someone relatively new to the planted side of things :).

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one then.

Tom Barr's Non CO2 tank guidelines all suggest minimal surface agitation and minimal need for water changes, but Im no expert on non CO2 tanks (I always play safe). I don't refill. I buy disposables and have the surface like a wave machine. lol 1 600g cannister still lasts 3-4 months.

Andy

At £15-£20 a refill and the kits £60-£100 depending on where you go, I'll go without the CO2...though 3-4 months is longer than I thought that size would last when your injecting more, my tanks slightly bigger anyway.
Maybe when I can be bothered finding a big canister that I can refill and will last me ages I'll go for CO2 since it would be nice to grow more 'difficult' plants, but for now my easy plants grow faster than I can keep up with without it lol :hyper: .

I would always reccomend using co2 of some kind. Having a planted tank at first it can seem confusing but it is well worth it.

I would always reccomend using co2 of some kind. Having a planted tank at first it can seem confusing but it is well worth it.

Would anyone recommend liquid Organinc Carbon? such as Seachem's Flourish

Lots of people use Flourish Excel with decent results. I used it for about 2 months till I finished my bottle and switched over to a yeast setup (Nutrafin), and it worked ok. I didn't get as much growth or pearling that I get with real CO2, but it was better than nothing.

However for the amount you'll spend on a few bottles of excel, you could buy a cheap yeast system, which will be cheaper in the long run (sugar, baking soda, and yeast are way cheaper than excel).

thanks

and the air bubles / cutain

should go eh?

Lots of people use Flourish Excel with decent results. I used it for about 2 months till I finished my bottle and switched over to a yeast setup (Nutrafin), and it worked ok. I didn't get as much growth or pearling that I get with real CO2, but it was better than nothing.

However for the amount you'll spend on a few bottles of excel, you could buy a cheap yeast system, which will be cheaper in the long run (sugar, baking soda, and yeast are way cheaper than excel).

Before Stanifish runs off and removes all surface agitation, however, one also has to take into consideration that when agitation is reduced, the possibility of a reduction in overall water circulation and filter effectiveness can also occur. The lack of circulation can create dead spots, and you biological filtration may not get the circulation that it needs to thrive because of the reduction in flow. Also, it depends on what fish you are keeping. I keep fish which prefer a stronger current, or clean, clear water (something that an efficient filter provides). One, therefore, has to reduce the agitation, without reducing filter flow or circulation. If this is not an option due to the construction of the filter, then IMO, I'd rather drive off CO2 from agitation then risk a lack of circulation. With 1WPG and hardy plants, it really isn't going make much of a difference in growth rates (at least I've not noticed any, my plants still grow well for me), and my fish enjoy the current and clear water. In addition, in some regions, the lack of surface agitation will often produce a protein film, which is unsightly. This frequently occurs in my neck of the woods, and as a result, I must have some surface agitation in all of my tanks.

I think that with at least 1WPG in a tank 20g or larger, Stanifish, you should be able to grow most hardy plants, without CO2 or ferts of any kind other than possibly rootabs (I like these for crypts and swords especially, as they feed primarily through their root systems), especially if you have good filtration and are well-stocked with both plants and fish. This hobby isn't all that complicated, and if it your first time experimenting with plants, I'd really go simple first. You can always choose to upgrade to more fancy equipment later on. With the above tank conditions, often just doing proper tank maintenance will also be beneficial to the plants, and not much more will need to be done to ensure healthy growth. I do weekly water changes, but I often have sensitive fry, am overstocked, and am fattening fish up for breeding purposes. I've gone a month or so with just top-offs, but I personally don't like it, and actually notice better growth when I'm at my weekly regimen. Check out the easy plant list in my signature. Most will do well for you without much effort.

How big is the tank Stanifish, because WPG values are not quite the same for smaller and larger tanks? Also, what is your substrate?

llj

it's a 55 litre and what on earth is a substrate-- I HAVE BOUGHT 2 PLANTS! not sure what type they are, i asked but don't think the man heard me, both are about 15 cm tall, with big round, smooth leaves. My water has a fairly strong current, a bright light and there is nitrate in the tank for the plants to hopefully feed on and get rid of! However, after 2 days i have come back and found the leaves to become spotty with some brown and they look as if they have been torn apart and have holes in where fish have tried to eat them. My fish in the tank are 2 gouramis, 2 golden danios and an upside down catfish- is the catfish the culprit??

Most reactions

Back