No Chemical Changes

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Depending on where in the States you reside, an adjustable filter will be needed during seasonal weather changes...and in the unfortunate event of an ich outbreak, raising the temp of the tank is the safest (and cheapest) method to control it

For the time being, do that WC to get the ammonia levels down a bit, and continue to monitor params...it WILL eventually cycle at that temp, but it will take longer than if you could raise the temp

Same type of filter. Went from a quietflow 10 to a quietflow 30. I didn't change out filter cartridges until they had significant issues (like tearing). Also, I've kind of exceeded my budget already, will an adjustable heater make that much of a difference? I also have a 50 watt adjustable I can use from my old tank, if that will do the job for those "other uses", although I need that one there for the fish that are waiting to move when cycling.
FWIW I’d definitely invest in an adjustable heater when your budget allows. You’ll want to be able to make changes in temperature if needed for treating illness or just to compensate for outside, environmental temp changes. I think for a 29 high a 100 watt or more would be needed.

FWIW I’d definitely invest in an adjustable heater when your budget allows. You’ll want to be able to make changes in temperature if needed for treating illness or just to compensate for outside, environmental temp changes. I think for a 29 high a 100 watt or more would be needed.
Ok, I have a 150 watt non adjustable (it's been fine keeping the temp at 78), as we keep the house quite cold, so at some point I'll just go to a 150 watt adjustable.

Depending on where in the States you reside, an adjustable filter will be needed during seasonal weather changes...and in the unfortunate event of an ich outbreak, raising the temp of the tank is the safest (and cheapest) method to control it

For the time being, do that WC to get the ammonia levels down a bit, and continue to monitor params...it WILL eventually cycle at that temp, but it will take longer than if you could raise the temp
Did the water change, retested, ammonia was at 1 PPM. I then added a quarter dose, where a full dose brought me to 4 PPM originally, so that should be an additional 1 PPM, so I should be at 2ppm now.

Be careful how much ammonia you add. Each 1 ppm ammonia is turned into 2.7 ppm nitrite so it doesn't take much ammonia to get nitrite to 15 ppm - at which point it stalls the cycle. Since our nitrite test kits don't measure that high we can't know if nitrite has reached stall point or not. That's why the method on here was written. If ammonia is added only when certain targets have been reached, nitrite can never get high enough to stall the cycle.

Be careful how much ammonia you add. Each 1 ppm ammonia is turned into 2.7 ppm nitrite so it doesn't take much ammonia to get nitrite to 15 ppm - at which point it stalls the cycle. Since our nitrite test kits don't measure that high we can't know if nitrite has reached stall point or not. That's why the method on here was written. If ammonia is added only when certain targets have been reached, nitrite can never get high enough to stall the cycle.
Well, I'd honestly be happy if my nitrites even start to move, they've been stuck at zero. At least then I'd know something is happening. Lol. But in all seriousness, thanks for the advice, I'll go slow on the ammonia.

We did have a member a week or so ago who also had no nitrite. We couldn't figure out what was going on so finally he took some tank water to a fish store and they tested his nitrite at 5 ppm (which could have been a lot higher as that was the maximum level their tester went to). It seems he had a faulty nitrite tester. It could be worth getting your tank water tested at a fish store just to rule out that possibility.

I have just noticed your user name - do you have plants in this tank?

That could be the answer. Aquarium plants take up ammonia as their nitrogen source and they turn it into protein not nitrite. If there are enough plants, a plant cycle can be done and no ammonia needs to be added. If there are enough plants, all that's needed is to wait until they are actively growing, then get fish.

That could be the answer. Aquarium plants take up ammonia as their nitrogen source and they turn it into protein not nitrite. If there are enough plants, a plant cycle can be done and no ammonia needs to be added. If there are enough plants, all that's needed is to wait until they are actively growing, then get fish.
I can post a picture later, but there are very very few plants, only one little one I cut into 3 pieces.

I wasn't able to get a picture, but I just wanted to add that my ammonia hasn't been going down either, so I doubt this is the case. And my ammonia tests definitely work, as they changed after I did a partial water change

You will just have to be patient, and let the cycle run it's course...nothing good happens fast in this hobby

When I did a fishless cycle, it took 21 days for ammonia to drop and nitrite appear.

When I did a fishless cycle, it took 21 days for ammonia to drop and nitrite appear.
Ok, thanks for the help. I just added some more plants, figured that since I'm going to be adding them at some point later, may as well do it now to help the process along.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back