No Chemical Changes

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm upgrading my tank from a 10 gallon to a 29 high, and I was trying to cycle my tank. I added enough Fritz brand ammonia to get to 2 ppm (according to their directions), but my tests are reading 4ppm. (I'm having trouble differentiating the colors, as they're very similar. But definitely much closer to 4ppm than 2ppm). Now, 10 or so days later, I haven't added anything else, but have been doing tests every 2-3 days. 0 nitrates, or nitrites, and I'm still stuck at 4ppm ammonia. I added dechlorinator the first day when I filled the tank, and I moved a plant and a piece of filter from the old tank too. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this? Or do I just need to wait?

Welcome to TFF

What kind of test kit are you using? What type of conditioner? What temp is the tank?

I'm using the API freshwater master test kit, and Aqueon water conditioner.

Have you read up on cycling here? https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycle-your-tank-a-complete-guide-for-beginners.475055/

What is the temp of the tank? Do you have a bubbler going?
Yep I've read there, I have my filter going, which is designed for tanks up to 45 gallons, so it definitely creates quite a bit of flow. And the temp is 78.

Yep I've read there, I have my filter going, which is designed for tanks up to 45 gallons, so it definitely creates quite a bit of flow. And the temp is 78.
Crank the temp up to 82F or so, beneficial bacteria grow faster in warmer water...but, warmer water holds less O2, which the BB of course need, so get a bubbler going to create alot of surface agitation

4 PPM of ammonia is quite a bit, even for a 29G...I would do a WC with dechlored water to get it down to 3 PPM, tops

How do you plan on stocking the tank?

Aqueon Quietflow 30.

Unfortunately the heater I'm using is a preset one, as it was all the store had, so I can't do anything about the temp. But I'll do a water change, try to get it down to 3.
Do you use a cartridge and change it out?

Do you use a cartridge and change it out?
With my old tank, yes, that's what I did, although I only changed my cartridge very infrequently.
Crank the temp up to 82F or so, beneficial bacteria grow faster in warmer water...but, warmer water holds less O2, which the BB of course need, so get a bubbler going to create alot of surface agitation

4 PPM of ammonia is quite a bit, even for a 29G...I would do a WC with dechlored water to get it down to 3 PPM, tops

How do you plan on stocking the tank?
I missed your last question, I was planning to slowly add a few schools of tetras, along with a group of bottom feeding fish for variety.

With my old tank, yes, that's what I did, although I only changed my cartridge very infrequently.

I missed your last question, I was planning to slowly add a few schools of tetras, along with a group of bottom feeding fish for variety.
But are you changing it out still? What do you use as filter media in the filter?

Invest in an adjustable heater, there's more than one need for them...are you using that same filter on the 29G? DO NOT mess with your filter(s) during cycles, and after a cycle is complete, never change out filter cartridges until they fall apart...rinse them in old tank water, and reuse...there are better types of media than cartridges, as well, as long as the filter can be customized

Invest in an adjustable heater, there's more than one need for them...are you using that same filter on the 29G? DO NOT mess with your filter(s) during cycles, and after a cycle is complete, never change out filter cartridges until they fall apart...rinse them in old tank water, and reuse...there are better types of media than cartridges, as well, as long as the filter can be customized
But he still has time to change out the media completely... I would definitely use a filter sponge along with those bio-rings

But he still has time to change out the media completely... I would definitely use a filter sponge along with those bio-rings
Unless it contains viable BB from the previous tank...then the OP would want to preserve that BB colony

Same type of filter. Went from a quietflow 10 to a quietflow 30. I didn't change out filter cartridges until they had significant issues (like tearing). Also, I've kind of exceeded my budget already, will an adjustable heater make that much of a difference? I also have a 50 watt adjustable I can use from my old tank, if that will do the job for those "other uses", although I need that one there for the fish that are waiting to move when cycling.

Most reactions

trending

Back