Nitrite/nitrate Question....

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Interesting conversation thanks guys. I'm still new so getting my head around it all.

In the middle of a fish-in cycle. Ammonia constant between 0 and 0.25 closer to 0. Nitrite dropping from 5ppm to 2ppm. Nitrate dropping 80ppm to 20ppm.

Just checking that means I'm doing the right thing and that hopefully my cycle will be finished soon?

DeanoL83 said:
Interesting conversation thanks guys. I'm still new so getting my head around it all.

In the middle of a fish-in cycle. Ammonia constant between 0 and 0.25 closer to 0. Nitrite dropping from 5ppm to 2ppm. Nitrate dropping 80ppm to 20ppm.

Just checking that means I'm doing the right thing and that hopefully my cycle will be finished soon?

Thanks
smile.png

Yes, hopefully.  Daily water changes, Prime for volume changed only until ammonia and nitrite are zero and stay so.

If you are on the back side of the cycle and ammonia is at .25 ppm and heading towards 0 and the real issue is nitrite, I would be adding salt for that. Its a very small amount which will not be in the water for very long and I firmly believe most fishes, even tetras, can handle it. It will also help with nitrate. Note: You did not provide info on your pH and if it is much above 8.0, then .25 ppm of ammonia will likely be an issue that needs action.

One of the interesting facts in terms of the nitrogen complex and fish is the difference between sw and fw fish and how they tolerate ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. In general sw fish can handle higher levels of all three. And the reason for this is the salt. It makes the biggest difference in terms of nitrite, then nitrate then ammonia where it is more minimal.

There is no way to block ammonia from doing damage after a certain point except to remove it from the system. When you remove ammonia from a cycling tank, you slow, and may even halt, the reproduction of the bacteria. With nitrite you can block it from getting into the fish using chloride. That means the salt method allows one to protect the fish from the harm while not depriving the bacteria of what will make it multiply the fastes. And this completes the cycle faster as well.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back