nitrate

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

jeff_hopkinson

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I am writing to let you know that I eventualy got my ammonia levels down, been down for about 5days now, new prob every thing else is ok BUT my nitrate is around 40 ppm is this high if so how do I get it down. Can anyone assist.

Nitrates of 40 ppm is not a major problem and will not cause any trouble to fish, you could add a few real plants or if you already have then you could add some more. Also there is a product called Nira-Zorb which will lower your nitrates. My nitrates in my small tank are around 50 ppm and in my big tank they are 25ppm. It has been known that some people have nitrates higher than 50 ppm. :)

The best way to keep nitrates within acceptable levels is to do regular water changes. Live plants will also help.

Thanks for your replies As long as there is no probs Ican relax. I have sand substrate is this ok for live plants.

My nitrate levels were always high and nothing i did lowered them. I finally tested my tapwater to find it had 30-50 ppm in it. I dont worry about it any more, just do a water change every other week and I've never had a problem. So you might want to check your tapwater.

Hi. You can put plants in either a sand or a gravel substrate. For more info, though, you may want to post on the plants board.

-- Pamela

I got my plants in Sand; any they're doing really well.

Trouble is you need to be careful when cleaning as you can up-root them; but this is probably the same with gravel.

Also, on the nitrate problem, mine sits around 40ppm too, I was woried this would cause the disease plopsy, do you know anything about this?

40 is fine, and won't cause health problems for any but the most delicate of fish, like discus.

Most reactions

Back