Nicks 4X2X2

well i dont know what to try. i have wasted alot of money trying blyxa, acicularis, tennellus. i dont want to pay alot of money to try another plant that will fail!!

i know i can get crypts to grow in the tank. plus they are far more robust with large rainbows, keyholes and catfish blundering around! not to mention my 9 corries which im hoping to breed....

Shame you are not in the US. I would have sent you some extra marsilea I have in a tub. Then you could have tried the plant at low cost. I think it might be a match for you. It also has quite robust little lobed leaves, and might stand up well to the bigger fishes.

I wonder if any UK people would have it for swap? You might check the classifieds here, or perhaps try UKAPS.

Crypts are good, though. You can get a lawnish effect with enough time. You can barely see the substrate in the 20g I showed you.

i think im going to move my parva to the foreground, leave the beckettii where it is and perhaps add some thing else.

- Wendtii "brown"
- Wendtii "green"
- Wendtii "Tropica"
- Wendtii "Mi Oya"
- Undulata "Broad Leaves"

its finding the balance between the green parva and the browns i have of becketii.

Parva will do well in the foreground. :good:

But you can't take my journal title. "Tales of the Crypts" is mine. :lol:

hopefully i wont need 'crypt calamity' :lol:

looks like is just me and you on this topic. :good:

i love discussing plants, its really nice to chat witha like minded memeber with exellend knowledge. comparing info and experiances is invaluable in this hobby...

cheers for your help lljdma06 :hyper:

I'm reading it as well, nick ; )

right a teeny weeny update.

going to have a huge rescape so i am going to sell off my java fern on redmoor.

i have £45 worth of crypts on order so this tank should be go go soon.

i miy have too many crypts but i dont know, depends on my planting scheme. so watch the for sale section for Java fern on redmoor and crypts.

cheers :good:

all planted. now i just have to endure the crypt melt. :lol:

all planted. now i just have to endure the crypt melt. :lol:

Sometimes it's not so bad. I didn't have much of a problem with it when I setup my crypt scape about a year ago.

i hope its not too bad. its the worst feeling when you plant crypts. because it makes the tank look bare after the melt. and you think what a waste! but them they normally come back.
i went for a typical jungle crypt scape with the planting. it doesnt look like much now, but i shall keep you updated.

DSC00598.jpg

may not be many pics for a week or two whilst the melt is happening. :lol:

yes the riccia is for sale if you want it!

im seeing the last of the melt now. i have probably only removed about 15 in all during the melt, so thats testimony to EI and pressuised co2 for you. :good:

wish i had gone for an ofset island scape instead with the focal point on the right side of the centre, in a mount. (think thirds) - always threes in aquascaping, although i have not followed the book in this scape. :lol:

live and learn eh? :lol:

tank is growing nicely, albeit a bit slowly as it has to be shut down end of august.
shame, i havent had another 3-4 months as the crypts will really grow in nicely.
currently fighting GDA, but im really not fussed as its not a comp scape and its keeping my BN and ottos fat.

its only on the glass and not the plants so im fine with that.

the tank hasnt filled in massively if you compare it with an older shot (see below). thats mainly due to starting at a point, going backwards due to crypt melt, and then moving forwad.
if you imagine it with numbers. if i started at 5, i went back to 3, now im at a 6. (hope that makes sense)

this was the tank about a month ago. (just under) followed by how it is now.

DSC00598.jpg

DSC00606.jpg

Arty style shot.
DSC00608.jpg

some of the residents. (just some!)

DSC00609.jpg

DSC00620.jpg

DSC00630.jpg

DSC00635.jpg

As you can see, i prefer community set ups to the single species tanks. they are fine for competition if you are entering an iwagumi set-up, but its really boring. in my tank, all areas/levels are used, and its constantly active.

current stocking:

7 harlequins
7 gold barbs
5 'lake kutubu' rainbowfish
9 C.trilineatus
2 yellow platies
2 red wag platies
4 SAE (true)
1 BN
6 Otto's
2 keyholes
3 tiger barbs (free to who-ever can collect them)

comments always welcome.

Most reactions

Back