The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Nofrnds2pla

Reaction score
Hello all,
My name is Susie, I had a few fish when I was younger. Most recently I had a Pleco & a Corydora in a 20 gal tank named Big A** Fish & Little Guyā¤ļø(RIP) I lost the Big Dude a couple of months ago, he was approx 16 years old, & then I lost Little Guy, he was around 13 years old.šŸ˜¢. As you can see, not much recent fish tank experience. I now am starting a 10 gallon (fishless) in which I would like to put 1 Pea Puffer & possibly 2 (3?) Otocinclus. I have been reading so much that I have knowledge running out of my ears! Therefore, I am turning to you. This is the first time I have been on a forum of any type! I live in the boonies with LFS about a half an hour away. I have an Aqua Tech 5-15 gal over the back filter, a heater not sure of the brand maintains pretty consistent 75Ā° temp & Some plants & gentle bubbler on an adjustable air pump, 1 small cave & one small suction cup one for the side glass on order & Iā€™m going to try to make two of my own small caves once I get aquarium safe silicone.the tank has an LED light on the lid that came with the 10 gallon, it has white, blue and Off options (Looking into getting a Hygger 24/7 with timer) there appears to be a small amount of algae on the glass, but very very faint. Iā€™ll try to attach a photo of my tank,however I am a bit technologically challenged! I guess 1st off, I need to know if & when my parameters are safe enough to start with. I am on well water. As of this morning, have an ammonia reading of approximately .50 possibly a little higher (I know that might be an issue) PH 6.8, alkalinity 80, hardness 75, nitrite 0, nitrate 20.. These numbers have remain stable for approximately five days, except I think I had zero ammonia on day one . It has been two weeks since I started the tank, I did a 1 gallon water change yesterday. As far as the fish, I have read best off one puffer for the 10 gallon and the otocinclus I realize they need buddies, so Iā€™m torn between two or three as I would like an algae eater. Also, I donā€™t know if itā€™s OK to put the otoā€™s in first and then add the puffer later? Or should they all go in at one time? HELP šŸ˜Š & thank you for your time..šŸ”
ps what appears to be little flecks water is I have black glitter construction paper behind the back of the tank šŸ™„

Attachments

• IMG_2893.jpeg
    IMG_2893.jpeg
    310.4 KB · Views: 40
Thank you for your help. I thought the photo was just white light. Upon inspection, I see the option on this light is blue only & blue/white. I did not realize the blue remained on when I turned it to what I thought was white only! I could try to pop out that blue light. However, I was using the blue only at night to try to get a little algae for my Otocinclus that will arrive soon. Your comment caused me to go down the blue light rabbit hole and I found it doesnā€™t help w algae and other helpful info. I still am in limbo wondering whether I can add my fish with these parameters. I will probably be putting the Otos in first followed by the puffer, hoping that is OK. Thanks again for your input.

Attachments

• IMG_3672.jpeg
    IMG_3672.jpeg
    334.6 KB · Views: 3
Hello and welcome. Very knowledgeable people here. If you've got a question, someone here will have the answer.

Hello again. No problem, I don't think it's against forum rules to thank someone more than once.

Greetings Susie . Never been on a forum before huh ? Well you found the right one to start out with but donā€™t expect others to be like The Great TFF Forums . We are unique amongst Internet forums because thereā€™s a lot of spontaneity and instantaneous reactions here . The people are nice and we have absolutely NO bad vibes here . We have our monthly contests and we have a full range of experience here . You can rub digital shoulders with egg heads and commoners alike with every in between you can think of . So stick around and join the fray . Sounds like you have some good aquarium stuff and enough experience with fish to give yourself a good running start at anything . Also , you are in Pennsylvania which is the Holy Land of tropical fish keeping in the USA . The birthplace of Dr. William T. Innes .

Greetings Susie . Never been on a forum before huh ? Well you found the right one to start out with but donā€™t expect others to be like The Great TFF Forums . We are unique amongst Internet forums because thereā€™s a lot of spontaneity and instantaneous reactions here . The people are nice and we have absolutely NO bad vibes here . We have our monthly contests and we have a full range of experience here . You can rub digital shoulders with egg heads and commoners alike with every in between you can think of . So stick around and join the fray . Sounds like you have some good aquarium stuff and enough experience with fish to give yourself a good running start at anything . Also , you are in Pennsylvania which is the Holy Land of tropical fish keeping in the USA . The birthplace of Dr. William T. Innes .
Thank you for the greeting! Yes I have very much enjoyed my time here although it has been barely 2 days! I wasnā€™t here but a couple hours and saw you had the Pet of the month contest, of course I had to enter šŸ¾. Also enjoyed the ā€œwhat are you doing today sectionā€œ and the word associationā€¦.. I had to look up Dr. William T. Innes, Thank You! I find him very interesting and I went to photography school in Center City Philadelphia. I look forward to reading more about him. Boy, wouldnā€™t you love to get your hands on one of those original editions of his book! I find it amazing that he used black-and-white and hand colored all of his photographs it very much shows his respect for his subject. I used to work for an old time portrait photographer in Hazelton Pennsylvania and he did a lot of hand coloring. It is pretty much a lost art. Thanks again Back in the fold, I am sure I will enjoy it herešŸ”šŸ”

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back