newbi.... be nice!! lol

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

adz2332

Reaction score
Hi all,
Im new and im in the middle of setting up my first small basic tank.
I have a basic 61cm long, 35 cm high and 30cm deep. so rough 60 ltr give or take.
Im looking to put with it a clearview 200 or 300 aqua clear HOB filter and a Aquael easy heater 75w or 50w. aiming for about 21 - 22 degrees.
Would the above work together?
im looking to add
5 Serpae Tetra
5 Glowlight Tetra
5 Cardinal Tetra
5 Small congo tetra

If any of the above is unavailable either get the red phantom tetra or cochus tetre

Just looking to add contrasting colours
Unsure of what plants at this stage (ideas would be great)

Would this all work together and be sufficient?

Thanks
Adam

Not a bad size tank to start off this hobby.

Do remember you'll need to cycle this tank and filter first before adding any fish ;)

http://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

As for stocking choices, I would suggest you to find out about your tap/tank water parameters first. Hard or soft water, ph, ( also useful to have gH and kH which should be found online on your local water authority website).

The reasons for this is so that you can get suitable fish that will thrive in your water parameters.

Soft water fish such as most species of tetras and Coryadoras will not do very well at all in hard water and vice versa.

Pays to do a little homework and research of your potential stocking choices, saves a lot of heartaches and stress this way.

This is research you could do whilst waiting for your tank to cycle ;)

Adam, welcome to TFF. :hi:

I agree with Ch4rlie on the cycling and water parameters for your tap water, check this with the website of the municipal water authority or call them. Knowing the GH, KH and pH is important.

Aside from the parameters, there are some issues with the fish species mentioned. Congo tetras get 4 inches and like to swim, so they need a longer tank; I would not have them in anything under 4 feet (120 cm). Serpae Tetra need a group of 10+, on their own, in a slightly larger tank. They are feisty, and tend to fin nip if smaller groups or space. I would forget this species completely. The glowlights and cardinals would work space wise, depending upon parameters, and if water is OK you could increase their number a tad. Shoaling fish are always better with more than less.

Byron.

excellent thank for your replys!
will look into it further and get back with more questions i have :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back