New Weekly "off Topic" Topic (6/02/12)

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Thanks to all who contributed to last weeks’ “Off topic topic”..... Some interesting perspectives were shared and the general conclusion is that we’d rather donate food to a street hobo than cash, as they will just buy alcohol and drugs.

This week’s off topic topic is:

I did my high school senior year in 1970 (42 years ago) in a small village school and we had only 64 pupils in my class.
Since then, we have religiously had our re-unions every 5 years and all of them were attended by at least 85% of our remaining class mates. (10 have subsequently died)

We are currently busy compiling a book of little memorable incidents and events of our school days and a brief history of everyone’s’ life since leaving school.

Of the 54 remaining persons, we have managed to trace all of our friends (world wide) except for 2 whom we know are in England and Austria respectively..... All the others have been contacted and will contribute to this book.

So, the questions for this week’s topic is....... have you ever had a class re-union (or planning one)..... do you still have contact with any or some of your old school mates ..... Do you feel that the friendship bonding between old class mates is firmer- or on a different level that that which you have with work colleagues or new friends you met after school?

It will be interesting to hear your views.

I moved a lot as a kid so never really made firm long term friends. A couple of years ago my year 12 gradation class was suposed to have a re-union but the person who swore that they would organise it when the ten years was up never got around to it. My husband's graduation class had a re-union but we didn't end up going, no burning desire to see these people again. I do keep in contact with one friend from school and see her fairly frequently since she lives in the neighboring town ( I still refuse to lump my town in as a suburb of the bigger nearby town just because some know it all politician decided on a whim to make different shires amalgamate in to "super shires" :angry: ). I often see other people that I went to school with roaming around shopping in the larger neighboring town but I don't talk to them or even really acknowledge them. Comes down to them having no interest in the things that interest me ( nature, animals, reading, super natural, art) and they pretty much had me pegged as the "trouble maker" or "eco freak". I must admit I did play up to the label a bit by making the prim and proper girls who LOVED their makeup and fashion look at pictures of vivisection and the cruel tests they carry out on various animals just so that their precious hair spary didn't sting their eyes. One girl stated "How can you look at that stuff? I thought you liked animals?", my response was "Burying my head in the sand wont stop it happening, and you need to know what goes into the products you use". She pretty much flounced off tossing her head in a superior manner and called me a weirdo. So you see there is no love lost between me and them. Although it is funny a couple of times I have been unfortunate enough to run into ex-school members who have snobbed, ridiculed and excluded me when at school and suddenly now make a big song and dance about what great friends we where. I reckon I'll have a few wriggle out of the wood work even more if my novels ever get published, good luck to them is all I can say, because they wheren't my friends then and they sure as hell aren't now.

im only 26, so my last year of high school was only 10 years ago. i still see a fair few of my mates, and a good few 'associates' from school. all through the 4 years of high school i played for the footy team, and 90% of the school footy team was made up of my sunday league junior team. of which all but 2 of us went to the same school. so i literally spent almost every waking minute with the same 15 or so close mates that i played footy with. we would be at school, then after school we would meet up for a kickabout, or round a mates for some fifa on the playstation/xbox. saturday my junior team had training, then saturday night we'd probably illegally buy some drink and sit up a playing field getting nutted on cheap cider. sunday my junior team had a match. so yeah we pretty much spent all our time with eachother, and hence are very close friends. bare in mind also a large majority of the guys i played hgh school footy with i also spent 4 years playing middle school footy with, we've known eachother since we were about 8.

i would say i see half of them reguarly, i still play footy with a couple of them, couple i see through playing in a band, another couple i see through our shared interest in classic cars. not been to any reunions, not sure if ive been out of school long enough. i only know of one that i missed, but that was from my primary school. when xmas comes round i see vast number of old friends and associated from school days round the pubs and hitting the town, i love bumping into people ive not seen for a whole year.

playing footy was the single best thing that i ever done, i can count on one hand the number of proper mates ive made since leaving school. spending so much time with eachother, playing so much footy with everybody getting on is truely awesome. its made me who i am, the friends you pick help define you, and i picked a whole football squad full of minters.

I had a very strong set of friendships at school, a whole group of us, a few went away to university (inc me) but we were still friends, we went to each other's weddings, etc. And then we started wanting different things from life.

I settled down after my marriage, 4 kids came along.
My Best Man was one of the last to get wed, he was more interested in travelling the world
Another was travelling the world as part of his job, although he was married, he never wanted kids
Another moved abroad

The group unravelled a bit. I very rarely see any of them, although some of the others are still in touch.

To be honest, I prefer the friends I have now.

I never see any school friends.
I went to school in England, we moved there from Ireland when I was 6 I think. I found it hard to get used to different ways, accents and even other races. I only ever seen another person of ethnic race on the television before that. I hated school. Had a lot of people who I would have hung about with and made a few close friends. We moved back to Ireland when I was 15 and lost contact. People started adding me on Facebook who I went to school with but rarely talked to them. A lot of people who I would have been friends with are dead, in prison or soon to be going back there. A lot of the girls would be good candidates for the Jeremy Kyle show and I deleted them all.
Have real friends who I made when I got back home here and we get on great. I don't play football anymore due to a back injury nor do I run like I used to but still friends with those who I used to play football with and will go and watch the odd game.
School wasn't a great time for me so I definitely wouldn't ever go to any reunion even if there was one.

I keep in touch with a small group of friends from school. About 8 of us altogether. Several of us are now married/in long term relationships/have kids, so sometimes we meet up and do child-friendly things and sometimes we meet up on an evening and do child-free things. We usually meet up about once every 6-12 months, depending on work/family commitments. 2 of the group live further afield - one in South Yorkshire and one down South currently, the rest of us are all still in West Yorkshire, and in fact see each other more regularly in smaller numbers. Two of those friends I would consider best friends, we see one about once a month, perhaps more, and the other is one who lives further away so we don't see her so often, but as much as we can.

I do go to the slightly more formal get togethers with others from my year at school, but tbh I don't have much in common with them, so usually end up feeling uncomfortable and leaving early. Being in contact with people on facebook has brought home just how little I have in common with most people I went to school with. Certainly while I was there it was only the group I'm still friends with now who I was really interested in seeing - all my other friends were outside of school and were found via a local nightclub that we all attended, plus its' online forum.

I did my last year in school in 95 and since then i have moved around quite a bit. The biggest of the moves was from south africa to the UK. I do still have a few of my school friends on facebook but seldom talk to them. The one friend i do stay in contact with lives about an hour away from me, we have known each other since we were 11 so about 24 years now...As far as a reunion goes the thought of a 16000 mile round trip just for one night doesnt appeal to me so a big no..

I attended my 10-year reunion, but it was such a clash of egos I decided not to go again. It's probably better by now. Honestly, I've hooked up with more high school friends through Facebook than anything. I was such a loner in high school. The only group I really stayed with was the marching/pep band. Good group, but I lost touch with most of them. As said above, I prefer the friends I have now.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back