New Website

Wills

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
www.iamahill.co.uk

I got my self on Cargo Collective :) Really like the way it works the layout is nice and basic enough to get around easy enough and it lays the work out pretty well too.

Im a Graphic Designer/ Illustrator (kind of) just graduated with a first with honours degree from the Hull School of Art and Design. Currently working freelance but using my work at the moment to try and find a Junior position in a northern design agency.

Wills :)

Good for you, I hope you find something to get your foot in the door. I am a designer too and I know what its like!!

Your site is ok, I dont know a great deal about web design, I have built a few sites but not enough to give advice. But I do know that you need to makesure your images are all linked to the right place, there were a few missing on your site when I had a look.

But It looks good, I like your artwork, too. Goodluck with finding a job, there are plenty agencies out there you just need one to give you an opportunity

Thanks - can you tell me where you found dead links please, it might have been a slow connection as the site is built through Cargo Collective which is like a click and drop system so I dont know how links would be broken?

Thanks Wills

wow, with Illustrations like that you shouldn't have a problem getting a job mate :good:

I think it is just a slow connection, after having the site open for about 5 mins now it is running quite smoothly after quite a slow start, which may in fairness put some people off.

The images that dont show up are the main picture on the home page, the "I am a designer" thumbnail and also the "various logos" thumbnail. Also the main image on the "I am a designer" page and "Various logos" page dont show either.

I tried it at my work PC and also my PC at home and got the same thing. I use Internet explorer on both. So I tried it on Firefox and it worked ok. So it might be a problem with the browser it has been optimized for.

I know that when I designed my website, I previewed it in firefox and they were ok but they had glitches when I viewed them in IE.

Yeah Cargo Collective is a designer based networking site that you can use as a portfollio site. To get on board you have to ask for an invitation I managed to get on through some people I met at my internship. Because its optimized for the design community I would think it was based around firefox rather than IE since most designers use macs and so firefox or safari as default.

Ill try compressing the images to make them smaller file sizes to upload quicker. I am fairly certain that is the problem here. When you use Cargo Collective you dont do any of the code your self its basically like a high profile wordpress.

Davo - thanks :) Ive just done an internship in Leeds which was pretty good but I had to leave before the end of it because of the low pay and travel costs (£50 a week pay £70 a week petrol :/) they had no interest in taking on a Junior though but we still have good connections, the creative director wants to meet up with me next week for a chat so should be cool. Its a firm in Leeds thats part of a group with Ian Anderson (designers republic) so I learnt a ton from them while I was there really great group of people there but I felt intimidated the whole way though not in a bad way just because it made me realise how far behind students really are and I didnt really "shine" as much as I would have liked too.

I have a few good leads at the moment though that Im chasing up this week :)

Wills

Thats good you have connections in the industry, I am sure with your work you will get something good to get you going and your foot in the door.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back