New To The Hobby

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Me again with yet another question! :p

Doing some more research on inhabitants from my stocklist; I have heard that gouramis and zebra danios should not be kept together as the active danios will annoy and nip the gouramis!! :O Any views on this??

Also, I want to add another group of harlequin rasboras to the tank! Would I have to compromise something like the angel??

Personally, I'm not a fan of danios in anything less than a 4 foot tank.  They are just too active to be kept in a smaller tank.

Rasboras should be just fine. ;)  Sorry, I know zebras are your favorite.

I have three Zebra Danios in my largest aquarium, and I have seen them occasionally nip, if they did it a lot they would be gone back to the store.  In my opinion I would not get them again.

Angels can grow quite large and will eat smaller fish, like small neon's etc.

My Rasboras Espei's school well, so if you are considering Rasboras you should find they will hang out together.

The reason they are nipping is because the shoal size is too small.  They, like most other social fish, require 6+.

Thanks! I'll have a look at Espei's! Havent heard of them before! :O

Yeah I understand schooling fish need to be 6+! I know it might be tight - but I really would love Zebra danios! :(

eaglesaquarium said:
The reason they are nipping is because the shoal size is too small.  They, like most other social fish, require 6+.

So if I got at least three more you reckon they would be better behaved?  Does it have to be Zebra's or can it be any of the species of Danio?

JWilliams24 said:
Thanks! I'll have a look at Espei's! Havent heard of them before!
ohmy.png

They are great a really bright orange, brighter than the standard Harlequin, mind you I had to wait three months for mine as I asked the LFS to get them in for me.  They are also slimmer than the Harlequins, so look better (I think) in a smaller tank.  I have eleven of them, which are all my original ones, pretty hardy, not lost any.  Reason for odd number is the LFS initially bought in six for me, five disappeared literally overnight, a complete mystery to them, so I bought the one, and then when they eventually got a tank full of them I got ten.  They are like little Piranhas when food is put in for them, and they love darting along the bubble wand.  If you can get them I think you will be very happy with them, I certainly felt they were worth the wait.  There are a couple of good videos on Youtube.

Thanks! I'll definately be having a look at them! :)!

Only about a fortnight now!! :D so excited!!

Anyone got any sources where I can get pure ammonia for cycling??

Also to add; I just bought from amazon the book "The Perfect Aquarium: The Complete Guide to Setting Up and Maintaining an Aquarium"! Wanted some material to read and looking at reviews this seemed one of the top ones to go for! Any input from anyone? :)

Espei are very small, so I wouldn't suggest them if you plan on an angelfish.

RCA said:

So if I got at least three more you reckon they would be better behaved?  Does it have to be Zebra's or can it be any of the species of Danio?
There's no guarantee but the correct numbers usually helps with aggression... But they must be the same species.

Just a quick question, where in south wales are you from? im in same area and new to all this too lol

Most reactions

Back