New To Planted Tanks And Aquascaping

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Craig89

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Evening All,

Im hoping some of you will be able to point me in the right direction and too the right products.

I've just got a new tank after selling my large community tank 18 months ago, I did try my hand at planting but most of the time they died or looked very pale.

Now the new tank isn't huge it's only 20 gallons but it's in my new living room and I want it to really stand out and be a focal point within the room.

I will be absolutely fine with the scape but I really need to no what products to use to get the best from my

I'm hoping you can direct me to the best substrate although I do want to cap it with black sand.
The best lighting for my budget (£40-£60)
The best additives and fertilisers
And easy to grow plants, I'm ideally wanting something tall for the rear and a carpeting plant nothing to complicated.

Many thanks in advance

As far as a plant substrate I highly recommend Fluval Plant Stratum, it's what I use in this tank: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/428865-drifters-5-gal-jungle/ (No fert's or added CO2, just turn the light on for 8 hours a day and those plants need to be trimmed back bi-weekly.) Downside is that it's pretty expensive (50$ for a 20 lb bag). Also, you wouldn't be able to mix it with sand, as it is small pellets, mixing it with any other sort of substrate would cause it to break down into a very fine dust that would clog the filter.

Another Substrate option (one that I quickly shied away from because of my Corys is CaribSea Floromax. It's a very fine gravel. But still to much gravel for a Cory (They like to dig through substrate and so need a very fine substrate.) It wasn't as expensive (35$ for 20 lbs), and it comes in black (With red-orange flecks) 

One thing I must say, I had CaribSea Tahitian Moon sand in my tank, and I guess the substrate was too compact and the roots couldn't push through it, because my plants just tended to die off. 
Also, I (Personally, others may disagree) wouldn't get a substrate and then top it with a sand, if the sand is more fine than the base substrate it will fall through and eventually the base substrate will show through (From experience)

As far as lighting, it isn't my strong point...I went with flourescent full spectrum lighting. For my 30 Gal (36' aquarium) the bulb was about 21$. For my 5 Gal it cost about 9$

So long as you get a plant substrate you don't need fertilizer. But if you want to go with a black sand, then you'll need fertilizer, weather liquid or tabs. I prefer to go with fertilized substrate because it means I don't have to remember to dose the tank. 
If you want a fertilizer, I would recommend Flourish Excel, it's not overly expensive and works well enough. 

Next, the plants!
-Java Fern
-Java Moss
-Rotalla
All grow very well in my tanks, as does whatever type of Vallisneria I happen to have :p 

Thanks for that krystaK, to be honest as long as the substrate is a dark colour and doesn't go all
Mushy and nasty like one I tried before ( Oliver knott substrate) and it can be built up to create different levels in the tank Im not too bothered about the sand. I shall have a look at the ones you have suggested thanks very much for the info

Those leds are good for lighting up a tank but at 0.2 watts per led not really suitable for good plant growth.

Most reactions

trending

Back