New To Fish Keeping - Please Help

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I will start looking for a good home for them but i guess my priority is getting this featherfin well again as i can't pass on a sick fish to people.

I have also seen some very big tanks that people are trying to sell so it may be prudent to get them something larger in the meantime.

I had managed to take a PH count using a soil Ph meter. The reading is not that accurate but i estimate 6.9 as it's slightly below the 7 mark.

Temperature of the water is 21 C at the middle of the tank where the catfish is now.
the water is a bit cold. try to up it to 25 or 26 C. As spouse said, you need to dechlorinate the water as soon as you can.

The pH doesn't really matter at this moment. Do you have any neighbors who keep fish? You really need to get these fish into dechlorinated water immediately. They likely will die before you can get to the store tomorrow. Is there any kind of all-night store you can go to? Many chain stores will at least carry dechlorinator. You need to do this right now.

Unfortunately everything is closed as its Sunday and the guy who gave me the aquarium was the only guy i knew who keeps fish. I just hope he can make it for a few more hours until i can go to a shop and get what i need.

The pH doesn't really matter at this moment. Do you have any neighbors who keep fish? You really need to get these fish into dechlorinated water immediately. They likely will die before you can get to the store tomorrow. Is there any kind of all-night store you can go to? Many chain stores will at least carry dechlorinator. You need to do this right now.

Unfortunately everything is closed as its Sunday and the guy who gave me the aquarium was the only guy i knew who keeps fish. I just hope he can make it for a few more hours until i can go to a shop and get what i need.
You'll need a new heater, too. It doesn't seem like the one you have is doing its job if the water is at 21 C.

You'll need a new heater, too. It doesn't seem like the one you have is doing its job if the water is at 21 C.

Good advise, i was going to get another one and keep this one as back up. Also i wonder if it is possible to get another filter and get the necessary algae onto it, also for back up. If this one breaks down then i am left with no algae in a new filter it could be a problem, no?

It's bacteria you're looking for on your filter media, not algae. It's not a bad idea to have a spare filter, and then you can take whatever filter media you have running and put it in the filter that you put to use. Just don't ever switch out the media completely.
good.gif

It's bacteria you're looking for on your filter media, not algae. It's not a bad idea to have a spare filter, and then you can take whatever filter media you have running and put it in the filter that you put to use. Just don't ever switch out the media completely.
good.gif

I see, so if this one ever breaks down i should not throw it away but instead take out the inside material and put it into new pump!

I have moved him closer to the heater where it should be warmer (if its still working that is).

Exactly. Also, there are many times when a filter seems like it's broken, when actually it's just got a problem that may be able to be fixed.

I've just been reading that vitamin C will neutralize chlorine, but I need to do some more research.

Just heard that i should feed him some peas as there is a scientist who has been treating fish with them and gotten good results. I suppose it can harm to try can it?

Is shock treatable? I know it can be deadly but i am not sure what success rate is!

And i don't understand why the delayed reaction to the cold water as he was fine for so many hours. Would shock not be immediate if due to water?

Feeding peas is a good answer when your fish are constipated from eating fish flakes exclusively, or for other food-related problems. I feed my fish peas about once a week to curtail any problems. I just use frozen peas, put them in a little hand strainer, run them under hot water until they're completely thawed, then I just press them through the strainer to deshell them and get them into pieces small enough for them to eat. Only problem is it fouls the water for a few minutes but it does clear up quickly.

If your fish is still alive he might come out of shock. But it's still the chlorine that I worry about. It should be store open time across the pond by now. So if you're going to get dechlorinator, get the good stuff like Seachem Prime and dose at least as much as the bottle recommends. You can overdose a little with no harm, just don't put too little in the water.

Please keep us posted.

And frankly, a fish in that condition likely won't be eating anything.

Feeding peas is a good answer when your fish are constipated from eating fish flakes exclusively, or for other food-related problems. I feed my fish peas about once a week to curtail any problems. I just use frozen peas, put them in a little hand strainer, run them under hot water until they're completely thawed, then I just press them through the strainer to deshell them and get them into pieces small enough for them to eat. Only problem is it fouls the water for a few minutes but it does clear up quickly.

If your fish is still alive he might come out of shock. But it's still the chlorine that I worry about. It should be store open time across the pond by now. So if you're going to get dechlorinator, get the good stuff like Seachem Prime and dose at least as much as the bottle recommends. You can overdose a little with no harm, just don't put too little in the water.

Please keep us posted.

And frankly, a fish in that condition likely won't be eating anything.

Went to 2 different shop first thing this morning and got myself ...

Aqua Safe - Already used it!

Easy Balance - Although someone told me it was not safe to use and could crash the system.

Ph, Nitrate, Nitrite and ammonia testing kit

Tonic Salt - Hope i can add it as well as the Aqua Safe.

Is it okay to add the salt today considering i have already put in the Aqua Safe? Not sure if it wouldn't be doing too much too soon, but if the salts help him then i'll do it.

He is upside down again today on the opposite side of the tank to where i left him so i guess he was able to swim there. I wanted to check if he was still alive but figured it's best not to stress him out anymore. I know it sounds a bit morbid but would he float if he was dead? Is that a good way to tell without having to move him?

Are peas safe for all fishes? (Pleco, Loach and Minnow as well as the Catfish)

Get some Seachem Prime or StressCoat + in the future. It's more effective and takes care of more trace minerals.

Easy Balance - Although someone told me it was not safe to use and could crash the system.

It could. I wouldn't use it.

What kind? If it's not a liquid test kit it's pretty worthless (i.e., strips).

DO NOT add salt!

Is it okay to add the salt today considering i have already put in the Aqua Safe? Not sure if it wouldn't be doing too much too soon, but if the salts help him then i'll do it.

Absolutely not.

He is upside down again today on the opposite side of the tank to where i left him so i guess he was able to swim there. I wanted to check if he was still alive but figured it's best not to stress him out anymore. I know it sounds a bit morbid but would he float if he was dead? Is that a good way to tell without having to move him?

No, they generally don't float when they die. If he's alive you should be able to see his gills moving somewhat. Stare for a good minute or two.

Yes. Just make sure they're deshelled.

Get some Seachem Prime or StressCoat + in the future. It's more effective and takes care of more trace minerals.

It could. I wouldn't use it.

What kind? If it's not a liquid test kit it's pretty worthless (i.e., strips).

DO NOT add salt!

Absolutely not.

No, they generally don't float when they die. If he's alive you should be able to see his gills moving somewhat. Stare for a good minute or two.

Yes. Just make sure they're deshelled.

Excellent, thank you.

The kit comes with 2 test tubes, and a variety of pills to be used for the various tests. I avoided strips as these did not seem very accurate.

I cannot see his head as it is wedged in a gap behind the filter otherwise i would have checked his gills.

I will check out eBay right away for these products. I will have to wait for delivery but i would not be able to use the products now as the Aqua Safe is already in the system.

Good News, He is swimming a bit now. Still turning upside down but he seems much better than before. He was trying to breather from the top of tank and i noticed he still had some buoyancy issues. The fact that he was swimming on his own volition rather than just lie at the bottom makes me feel a little better.

Fingers crossed he pulls through!

Most reactions

Back