New To Fish Keeping - Please Help

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Blue Dragon

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am new here and am trying to learn more about the subject. As of yesterday I inherited an aquarium with 1 Common Pleco, 1 White Cloud, 1 Clown Loach, 1 Featherfin Catfish and lots of pointy snails.

I realise it was a big shock to the fish to be moved but am very worried now about my Catfish. He was the most active yesterday and was even prepared to come up to me unlike the rest who hid. Today I found him upside down in the bottom of the tank. I thought he was sleeping as he is moving but after putting the light on for a couple of hours he has not moved from the spot. I tried to wake him up with the net and then even put my arm in the tank to get him the right way round but he swam for about 2 seconds and went back down and upside down. Have been trying to research and in the last few hours have had somewhat of a crash course but when I try to find out about why he is upside down all I am able to get in the searches are articles on upside down catfish the actual fish name not the condition.

I am really, really worried now and don't know what to do to save him. The tank is not new, all the equipment is what has been there for years. I think maybe the change in water and shock in moving but don't have a clue how I can help him/her. I feel so helpless! :-(

Yesterday he was doing fine and I even noticed he was always near the Pleco but today he is in the opposite side of the tank. :sick:

I am going to get more Clown Loaches and White Clouds as I know they like to school, I just don't know how to help my lovely Featherfin whom I have named Poseidon.

PLEASE HELP! I did not expect to get them but now they are here I have a responsibility. I already have 3 dogs, 1 cat and 5 ferrets but now I am hooked on Tropicals. :wub:

hi there,

what size is your tank? did you keep any of the original tank water? do you know what your water parameters are? a lot of questions i know but we really need a bit more info to try and help you. when you filled the tank back up with water, did you de-chlorinate it first? what temperature is your heater set at?

try not to panic and give us as much info as you can. we will all do our best to help you.

L. :good:

can you please fill this out, so we have a better chance of finding out what is wrong
1. Water parameters. (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, PH, temp', Hardness etc)
2. A full description of the fishes symptoms.
3. How often you do water changes and how much.
4. Any chemicals and treatments you add to the water.
5. What tank mates are in the tank.
6. Tank size.
7. Finally Have you recently added any new fish?
Tank size:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants:

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

Exposure to chemicals:

Digital photo (include if possible):

I got them in a bag as the tank was completely cleaned out. The original filters are on there and will need changing soon as they have plenty of colour on them.

I calculated the tank to be about 23-25 gallons. In desperation i turned up the heater just now but i did something very stupid yesterday by accidentally turning the heater on with no water in the tank. This resulted in slight melting of the plastic around the heater but it is still working. I risked putting my hand in the water to make sure i did not electrocute the fish and it was okay.

I do not know the Ph of the Water and do not have a digital thermometer as it is Sunday and everything is closed. Tomorrow first thing i will get some chlorine drops, Ph meter and thermometer.

When the lights were off today the Clown Loach was very active and ow now that the light is on he is hiding but the white cloud is very active. Catfish has gone to the side of the tank where the filter is and is now on his side.

can you please fill this out, so we have a better chance of finding out what is wrong
1. Water parameters. (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, PH, temp', Hardness etc) ***No meter to measure with until i buy them tomorrow.
2. A full description of the fishes symptoms. *** Very little motion, Bottom of tank floating on side or upside down.
3. How often you do water changes and how much. *** All the water was changed yesterday as i had to transport the tank in my car, fish were in separate bag
4. Any chemicals and treatments you add to the water. ***No chemicals used but te tank was cleaned and moved to my home.
5. What tank mates are in the tank.*** 1 common pleco (best friends it seems), 1 white cloud, 1 clown loach and lots of pointy snail
6. Tank size *** 91cm long, 32 cms Tall and 31 cms wide - about 23-25 gallons i estimate
7. Finally Have you recently added any new fish? *** These fish have been toguether for a long time, I got them yesterday.
Tank size:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants:

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

Exposure to chemicals:

Digital photo (include if possible):

I tried to mix a bit or warm water with cold tap water so that it would not be cold. Left the heater in for about 30 minutes to further warm it up before introducing the fish. the featherfin was very active all night until this morning when i found him.

Photo on the way...

But did you dechlorinate the tap water before putting the fish in it??

And tell us exactly what you did with the filters from start to finish, please.

IMAG0122.jpg

But did you dechlorinate the tap water before putting the fish in it??

And tell us exactly what you did with the filters from start to finish, please.

I received the filters along with the heater and oxygen thing and installed it when i got home. It was not out of the tank / water for long as it had only been removed in the morning to clean the tank.

I did not use any products as i had none to use. Was not even told i needed to get some so i don't think the previous owners used any. I did try and mix a bit of hot water with the cold to speed up the warming as i did not want to keep the fish in the bag for too long.

I have turned him the right way up now and he is staying in that position. Did not even try and swim away as i approached with the net. When i asked if they used any chemicals to clean the tank i was told "no, never". I was up with them until about 8am while on the net trying to find out all i could about the various species and Tropicals in general. Even ordered lots of plants on ebay (60 in total in bunches of 5 from 3 sellers so in future i know where to go).

My tap water is quite hard i have to say but the chlorine levels aren't too high.

chemicals in the tap water are poisonous to fish. this is why tap water MUST be de-chlorinated before it is added to the tank. this is most likely why your fish is ill and unfortunately without de-chlorination, they will all become poisoned. you must get some de-chlorinator asap. sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

L :no:

ps - de-chlorinating is not adding chemicals to the tank, it is removing them.

chemicals in the tap water are poisonous to fish. this is why tap water MUST be de-chlorinated before it is added to the tank. this is most likely why your fish is ill and unfortunately without de-chlorination, they will all become poisoned. you must get some de-chlorinator asap. sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

L :no:

ps - de-chlorinating is not adding chemicals to the tank, it is removing them.

How do i do this? With drops?

I can get some first thing tomorrow morning, i just hope that he makes it!

PS- I appreciate honesty and hopefully he/she will be okay after the drops go in.

hi again,

you can buy tap water conditioner (de-chlorinator)from your LFS. Many supermarkets now sell it as well. follow the instructions on the back of the bottle. be sure to use enough to dose the ENTIRE tank. You must de-chlorinate the water EVERY time you do a water change. DO NOT add any water to your tank without first adding de-chlorinator. good luck.

:nod:

try having a look at the beginners section on the forum and also google de-chlorinator. this will explain the purpose of doing this as well as how to carry out water changes etc.

Not to be abrupt, but with your small tank, your options in regards to the clown loach are not to up the numbers, but to rehome the one you have, They need a tank minimum of 4 feet long, 2 feet wide. They grow to be a foot long or more each.

I will start looking for a good home for them but i guess my priority is getting this featherfin well again as i can't pass on a sick fish to people.

I have also seen some very big tanks that people are trying to sell so it may be prudent to get them something larger in the meantime.

I had managed to take a PH count using a soil Ph meter. The reading is not that accurate but i estimate 6.9 as it's slightly below the 7 mark.

Temperature of the water is 21 C at the middle of the tank where the catfish is now.

The pH doesn't really matter at this moment. Do you have any neighbors who keep fish? You really need to get these fish into dechlorinated water immediately. They likely will die before you can get to the store tomorrow. Is there any kind of all-night store you can go to? Many chain stores will at least carry dechlorinator. You need to do this right now.

Most reactions

Back